VMware Cloud Community
DerekTournas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Configure HTTP Proxy for ESX4i

Hey all,

I'm pretty new to the virtual technology so excuse my ignorance. I just finished the VCP training and I'm getting some hands on experience using my company's lab. The lab due to network restrictions will only allow internet access to my ESX (and any other) hosts through a proxy server where I have to enter my credentials. (I need internet access for the NTP settings - for now).

I've been trying to figure this out for about 12 hours and I'm very close to insanity... I'm either missing something obvious like: "you can't" or something that it's not that easy to find for someone like me.

Thanks, Derek.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - I do not think that is possible to provide proxy settings to your ESXi host - the way around that is to create a VM where you can configure the proxy settings have that connect to the NTP source and let it be your internal NTP server -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - I do not think that is possible to provide proxy settings to your ESXi host - the way around that is to create a VM where you can configure the proxy settings have that connect to the NTP source and let it be your internal NTP server -

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi Derek,

why don't you point the NTP server into your Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller with PDC Emulator (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784800(WS.10).aspx) because that is what I did Smiley Happy

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
DerekTournas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. Apparently you're right... the only way is to run a VM as an NTP server, sync that VM with an internet time server (proxy settings on the VM) and have everything sync'ed with that VM.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos