VMware Cloud Community
oliver_g
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Configure Dependent iSCSI for Dell Unity

Hello All,

I have a new HP server, DL380. This server will be used as an ESXi host. This host will connect to a Dell-EMC Unity 400f.

The server uses an HPE Eth 10/25Gb 2p 631SFP28 Adptr - two ports, etc vmnic6, and vmnic7.

The Dell storage will have a datastore for this host (and 2 more). I want to configure iSCSI interface for this host to connect to the Dell Unity

storage.

I have seen in the VMware documentation where the process is to enable the s/w iSCSI adapter, create a vSwith (or use an existing one), add uplinks (I have two), and then add a vmk kernel adapter. Configure the s/w iSCSI to connect to the Dell - this works. BUT I would like to see if

I can create a "Dependent iSCSI" configuration. On the Dell side it shows initiators for all the NICs on the host , The Dell storage show initiators for "dependent" iSCSI connection, but has warnings - not logged in, etc.

The software iSCSI adapter shows as connected, etc and the storage is presented to the Host.

I am using a vSwitch with uplinks for the hba's vmnic6  and vmnic7 (the 25Gb ports)..

When I tried to configure a Dependent iSCSI connection - the VMware documentation mentions that two vmk kerrnels are required, one for each nic - this is not possible to configure - the VMware documention mentions in the NIC teaming dialog that it is required to put one nic in "unused" state - not standby. I am using ESXi 6.7 U3, the dialog window has options to move a nic up, or put it in "standby" There is no option for placing a

nic on one vmk each. How is this possible? or what am I missing? I have also tried using esxcli commands to do the same thing. No luck.

Any current tips or suggestions will help,

Thanks,

Ollie_G

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey @oliver_g,

The way of configuring it is create two different portgroups for iSCSI traffic and modify the Teaming and Failover policy which in your case will be like this:

vSwitch0

iSCSI Portgroup 1 -> vmnic6 -> VMK1 -> Port binding 1

iSCSI Portgroup 2 -> vmnic7 -> VMK2 -> Port binding 2

With that configuration you will be able to configure your adapters. This is independent if yo use Software iSCSI or Dependent one and in this last point I am a little big confused because you are talking about Dependent iSCSI and Software iSCSI which are differents.

Dependent iSCSI configure is used with the physical adapters but you configure the iSCSI properties on the adapter directly, however Software iSCSI is using the adapter but the iSCSI capabilities are emulated by the ESXi.

View solution in original post

UdayenduKar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@oliver_g 

Few more points to consider after doing the esxi host side storage network configuration as recommended by @Lalegre 

a. Make sure your hosts are able to reach to the storage using the storage network. Check your host IP using:

# esxcli network ip interface ipv4 get

b. Pick the storage network properly and ping your dell storage IP:

# ping <storage_ip>

The above steps will help you to confirm that you have a valid network configuration between esxi & storage. But it wont allow you to access the lun on the esxi server. To access the lun at the esxi level, you have to configure the LUN masking at the storage side using esxi server's storage IP and the software iqn name. 

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> The Dell storage show initiators for "dependent" iSCSI connection, but has warnings - not logged in, etc.
That's likely the case, because you added the vCenter Server to the Unity. This will list all existing initiators in the Unity's web interface, regardless of whether they are connected to the storage.

>>> There is no option for placing a nic on one vmk each. How is this possible? ...
The option to mark a NIC as unused can be found in the port group's "Failover order" settings.

a_p__0-1605963695065.png

André

4 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey @oliver_g,

The way of configuring it is create two different portgroups for iSCSI traffic and modify the Teaming and Failover policy which in your case will be like this:

vSwitch0

iSCSI Portgroup 1 -> vmnic6 -> VMK1 -> Port binding 1

iSCSI Portgroup 2 -> vmnic7 -> VMK2 -> Port binding 2

With that configuration you will be able to configure your adapters. This is independent if yo use Software iSCSI or Dependent one and in this last point I am a little big confused because you are talking about Dependent iSCSI and Software iSCSI which are differents.

Dependent iSCSI configure is used with the physical adapters but you configure the iSCSI properties on the adapter directly, however Software iSCSI is using the adapter but the iSCSI capabilities are emulated by the ESXi.

UdayenduKar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@oliver_g 

Few more points to consider after doing the esxi host side storage network configuration as recommended by @Lalegre 

a. Make sure your hosts are able to reach to the storage using the storage network. Check your host IP using:

# esxcli network ip interface ipv4 get

b. Pick the storage network properly and ping your dell storage IP:

# ping <storage_ip>

The above steps will help you to confirm that you have a valid network configuration between esxi & storage. But it wont allow you to access the lun on the esxi server. To access the lun at the esxi level, you have to configure the LUN masking at the storage side using esxi server's storage IP and the software iqn name. 

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> The Dell storage show initiators for "dependent" iSCSI connection, but has warnings - not logged in, etc.
That's likely the case, because you added the vCenter Server to the Unity. This will list all existing initiators in the Unity's web interface, regardless of whether they are connected to the storage.

>>> There is no option for placing a nic on one vmk each. How is this possible? ...
The option to mark a NIC as unused can be found in the port group's "Failover order" settings.

a_p__0-1605963695065.png

André

oliver_g
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Lalegre, and every one who replied,

Thanks so much for the information here - It was helpful, and I did find the setting to change for NIC Teaming

with your suggestions. i.e. "Override failover order" this allowed me to revised the port group settings.

Thanks Again,

;Ollie G