VMware Cloud Community
mathieuintuitiv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Configure 2 different subnets

hello,

This is my first post in communities VMware !

I have a VMware ESXi 4 installed with 2 different physical NICs. For the moment, just one of them is used and everything works fine.

This NIC has an IP 192.168.1.2 and the configuration of the gateway is 192.168.1.1.

Now I want to configure my other physical NIC in an other subnet with an IP like 10.7.0.2 and a different gateway : 10.7.0.1.

So, I configure this NIC on vSphere, ok. then I create another vmkernel in 10.7.0.3 for exemple and another vSwitch to mount VMs in this subnet.

My problem is that when I want to configure the network of my new VMs, I give :

- IP : 10.7.0.10

- Gateway : 10.7.0.1

But it doesn't work because the gateway that VMware ESXi knows is 192.168.1.1 !!!

How can I do to state 2 different gateways on VMware, one for each of my physical NICS ?

Thx for your Help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

This is normal. As I said, you only can have 1 gateway per vmkernel and 1 for the Service Console, does not matter how many interfaces you have.

I cannot see how this can be causing any problem to your VMs. You will only need to change this if any of the services accessed by the vmkernel (iscsi, nfs) are beyound a gateway.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The gateway on ESX have nothing to do with the VM network configuration. In fact, does not matter what IP you have on ESX, the VMs will be independent. You also can't provide 2 default gateways in a box. The VM's should work on this configuration if they are plugged in the NIC on the 10.7.0 network and configured with the 10.7.0.1 gateway.

Can you ping the gateway? Or other machines on this network? Do you have VLANs or something?

Marcelo Soares

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
mathieuintuitiv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Thx for your answer !

I've joined to my post a screen of my problem.

As you can see on it, when I want to create another VMKernel, I must enter an IP address for it and an IP gateway. And as a previous gateway exists for the other subnet, the textbox "gateway" is allready completed.

What appends if I decide to change this gateway ? A message says that if I change it, I could lost connection to VMware...

What do you this about it ?

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

This is normal. As I said, you only can have 1 gateway per vmkernel and 1 for the Service Console, does not matter how many interfaces you have.

I cannot see how this can be causing any problem to your VMs. You will only need to change this if any of the services accessed by the vmkernel (iscsi, nfs) are beyound a gateway.

Marcelo Soares

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
mathieuintuitiv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you marcelo.soares !

It works fine now. I don't want what I had done before but now it works !

See you soon.

0 Kudos