VMware Cloud Community
dchauhan
Contributor
Contributor

Concurrent Conversions to ESXi v4.0

Hi,

We are trying to convert 20 physical servers to virtual so we can take a data snapshot of the servers. It appears there is a limit as to how many we the ESXi server can handle at any one time. Does anyone know how many can be converted at any one time and if there is anywhere where we can adjust to allow for 20 concurrent conversions?

Thanks

DC

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

16 is the number listed in the Configuration Maximums for vCenter conversions.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
dchauhan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have seen this in the config document which I understood as just imports i.e. an import from a VDMK file. We are converting using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client v4.0.1 build-161434 directly to ESXi v4. Is 16 still the maximum number which can eb converted as we could only get 6 to work.

Regards

DC

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

You can set the number of concurrent tasks to any number from 1 to 12. The default number of concurrent tasks is set to Maximum." - p.74 of the vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0.1 User's Guide.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
dchauhan
Contributor
Contributor

There is only one task. We want to do 20 individual servers all at the same time to the one ESX server.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

One (p2v) conversion equals one TASK...

Set your sites a little more down to Earth (or realistic) and try ten at one time. OR, start the conversion one at a time, and see where you hit the wall. Depending on your host, network, and storage, you might be able to reach the max of 16 at a single time. Or you might hit the wall before then.

VCP4

0 Kudos