VMware Cloud Community
Fatalglitch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Comstar iSCSI target not working

Yes, I know it's not supported, but it should work.

I have an iSCSI target on a Solaris 11 system, which an ESXi 4 host can see and interact with perfectly fine. However, my fresh built ESXi 5 host is completely unable to see the LUN. I've been working on this for over a week now, and am extremely frustrated.

Some info:

- Single path target from Comstar on the Solaris 11 system.

- Dedicated Port Groups/vmnics on both ESX 4 and 5 hosts

- Fresh installs of both ESX 4 and 5, only modifications are to add a new VMkernel port group, with a new vswitch, then setup the software iSCSI adapter.

- Both are pointed at the same Target Portal, and show the same static targets.

Solaris doesn't even see the ESXi 5 host "log in" to iSCSI, but I can see the network traffic occurring without blockage to them.

There's nothing I can find in the logs on the ESXi 5 host, that lends any information regarding iSCSI at all, except the creation of the vmhba iscsi device.

Anyone? Help?!

Thanks,

Tom Callahan

Tom Callahan, TESSCO Technologies Inc., 410-709-8662
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

I wonder what would happen if you loaded ESXi 4 and then upgraded?

Can you take the exact same server and load ESXi 4 on it and it works fine?

Fatalglitch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'll preface this by saying, this is a lab environment, with NAT'ing and other jazz to stay away from the normal network. Our iSCSI host was on the normal network, and I finally found my issue.

iSCSI in VMware won't route. It appears vsphere 4 was much more lenient, whereas vsphere 5 is a no holds barred war against iSCSI routing, even in a lab setting.

Anyways, that was the problem, it couldn't cross the subnets, so it failed to find targets.

Case closed.

Thanks,

Tom Callahan

Tom Callahan, TESSCO Technologies Inc., 410-709-8662
0 Kudos