VMware Cloud Community
groddjur42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Compatible USB 3.0 Device (PCIe Card)

Hello Community,

who has successfully integrated ANY (if so, which one) PCIe USB 3.0 Card with ESXi 5.5u2 ?

I have a HP ProLiant Server (which has USB 2.0 built in) and I want to add a PCIe Card for USB 3.0 Support.

Since I found so many different opinions I wanted to ask here if someone successfully managed to do that.

I am running multiple W2K8 Server, but only one of those needs the USB 3.0

Thank you

Martin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
groddjur42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just found out that all Server Systems prior to 2012 (that means my 2008 R2 as well) DO NOT support addon cards with USB 3.0 because they DON'T HAVE BUILT-IN SUPPORT for those cards. Even if there are driver available for the system, since the "xhci" driver is not native part of the OS, windows will not be able to use it . Only Server 2012 can do that

I hope this will help other people as well

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
groddjur42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just found out that all Server Systems prior to 2012 (that means my 2008 R2 as well) DO NOT support addon cards with USB 3.0 because they DON'T HAVE BUILT-IN SUPPORT for those cards. Even if there are driver available for the system, since the "xhci" driver is not native part of the OS, windows will not be able to use it . Only Server 2012 can do that

I hope this will help other people as well

0 Kudos