VMware Cloud Community
ArtCounter
Contributor
Contributor

Compatibility question

What PC will support a type 1 hypervisor on a workstation for running Win10 and Linux in a situation of ordinary home PC usage and for my use for personal learning and development? 

I have reviewed the VMware Compatibility Guide webpage extensively.  It seems to indicate only a very select group of processors are compatible, and even among those processors, only certain PCs.  

On the other hand, I recently viewed at YouTube video in which a fellow installed ESXi on a pair of Raspberry Pi PCs.  These are not on the compatibility list.  

So how important is finding a PC or CPU on the compatibility list?  

I found an inexpensive refurbished PC that has a compatible processor, but the PC model is not on the compatibility list.  Is this system likely to accept at ESXi installation?  I plan to install a Win10 system on this particular system and use it for my personal banking.  As far has hacking is concerned will it be: 1, safe; 2, probably safe; or 3, a serious risk.  What is the risk of crashing?  

I've been researching this subject for some time and am still lost.  Thank you for whatever thoughts you have.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ESXi isn’t designed to run on desktop PCs so I’m not surprised that you can’t find such systems in the compatibility tool.

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

Pay attention to CPU and IO device support in the tool.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos