VMware Cloud Community
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Commandline upgrade from ESXi 4.0 to ESXi 4.0 U1

I know there is a method in ESX using "esxupdate" but is there a simple method like this for ESXi commandline? Can anyone post a step by step method and let me know which download to install? I downloaded this one...

Upgrade package from ESXi Server 4.0 to ESXi Server 4.0 Update 1

This package provides expert users with remote, headless upgrade capability from ESXi Server 4.0 to ESXi Server 4.0 Update 1. Use this package with the Remote Command Line Interface "vihostupdate".

Or is this not available for ESXi?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Probably because you're not passing in the right syntax params and by default it'll use localhost. All vCLI commands will always have the default --server, --username and --password (or you can leave password off and you'll be prompted)

Try this:

vihostupdate.pl --server 10.4.75.230 -user user -i -b C:\ESXi-4.0.0-update01.zip

and assuming that IP is your ESXi host, you'll be prompted for your password

Note: Also if you're using the vCLI to automate any tasks, ensure you're on an eval or properly licensed edition of ESXi, as you can not use the vCLI with the free version of ESXi else you'll get an error.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

You need to download and install vCLI which runs on either a Windows or Linux system, you can also use VMware's vMA virtual appliance which is RHEL5 that includes the vCLI and vSphere SDK for Perl. You also have the option of just using the graphical update utility that is bundled with the installation of vCenter 4.0u1

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Doesn't this require a VC is available and my ESXi is being managed by that VC?

I guess I should've been more specific. I want to upgradt a standalone eSXi 4.0 server to U1.

Thanks

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

No you don't need vCenter to use the vCLI nor the host update utility (this is a standalone Windows GUI tool). Please take a look at the upgrade documentation and its explained in detail on how to upgrade you hosts.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I ran the following command...

vihostupdate.pl 10.4.75.230 -user user -password garbage -i -b C:\ESXi-4.0.0-update01.zip

And

vihostupdate.pl 10.4.75.230 -user user -password garbage -i C:\ESXi-4.0.0-update01.zip

And

vihostupdate.pl 10.4.75.230 -user user -password garbage C:\ESXi-4.0.0-update01.zip

But keep getting the following error...

Error: Server version unavailable at 'https://localhost/sdk/vimService.wsdl'

Why is it looking at a webservice on my XP machine?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Probably because you're not passing in the right syntax params and by default it'll use localhost. All vCLI commands will always have the default --server, --username and --password (or you can leave password off and you'll be prompted)

Try this:

vihostupdate.pl --server 10.4.75.230 -user user -i -b C:\ESXi-4.0.0-update01.zip

and assuming that IP is your ESXi host, you'll be prompted for your password

Note: Also if you're using the vCLI to automate any tasks, ensure you're on an eval or properly licensed edition of ESXi, as you can not use the vCLI with the free version of ESXi else you'll get an error.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

lamw, YOUDDA MAN!

I had to change the command a little to this...

vihostupdate.pl --server 10.4.75.230 -i -b C:\ESXi-4.0.0-update01.zip

Omitted the username so it would prompt for credentials.

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

you can also load a bundle from a http address.

esxupdate --bundle=http://server/esxi/dellopenmanage.zip update

0 Kudos