VMware Cloud Community
lhouse
Contributor
Contributor

Command Line

I ran a command at the command line and it looked like the command did nothing but it did change my prompt to just this >

Now can I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get out of it.  Has anyone seen this before and what the key combo might be to back out to the regular command prompt?

Thanks,

Louis

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

the ">" prompt usually shows up if you enter an incomplete command where additional input is required. Which command did you use?

André

0 Kudos
lhouse
Contributor
Contributor

It was a command to find snapshots at the command line and as I recall it was this:

find /vmfs/volumes -type f -name '*.vmsn' -exec ls -lh {\} \;  or this one:

find ./ -name *delta.vmdk

Cant remember which one actually brought me to that prompt.

Thanks,

Louis

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe it was:

~ # find /vmfs/volumes -type f -name '*.vmsn' -exec ls -lh {\} \
>

which requires additional input because the command has not been properly terminated with a ";"

André

0 Kudos
lhouse
Contributor
Contributor

Any way to get out of that prompt?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Sure, either provide the required input ("\;" in this case) or just hit the enter key (which will result in an error message, but terminate the input).

André

0 Kudos
lhouse
Contributor
Contributor

neither of those work.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Can you please provide the command (if it's not the example above) and explain what happens when you either enter \; or hit the Enter key!?

André

0 Kudos
lhouse
Contributor
Contributor

nothing, you just keep getting

>

>

>

those prompts keep coming up, no commands work , the enter key jsut produces more of them....quit, end, exit does not do anything.....

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What's the command you use?

At least a CTRL-D should log you out.

André

0 Kudos