VMware Cloud Community
spurs1980
Contributor
Contributor

Combine Virtual Disk of Windows 2008 R2 VM

Hi Forumers.

My environment is running VMware ESXi 5.5.0 (Build 1331820).

I have one VM that had been allocated 2 virtual disk - one for C: drive (to host OS partition, thick disk) and the second for 😧 drive (to host data, thick disk).

Both virtual disk are from the same datastore.

Over a period of time, the administrator has added 2 more virtual disk in order to expand 😧 drive (expanded in Windows 2008 R2 using extend volume).

These additional virtual disk are also from the same datastore.

All virtual disk are stored together with the virtual machine.

Is there a possibility/workaround for us to combine the 3 virtual disk (*.vmdk) into a single virtual disk? without affecting the volume in the OS?

Appreciate valuable feedback and inputs!

Regards,

Adrian

5 Replies
dhanarajramesh

instead of creating 3rd drive, you can extend the 2nd drive in vm settings and expand in side the OSpastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
spurs1980
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks dhanarajramesh.

I'm aware of the method you have specified.

My VM is already in the state that I have mentioned - I'm checking to see what are my alternative to resolve into a single virtual disk for the 😧 drive.

Regards,

Adrian

0 Kudos
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The only thing I can see would be to create a new disk and move all of the data with robocopy or something similar. There is no way to merge your VMDK files.

Sorry.

If this post was helpful, please mark it as such.

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

if you have data store free space, perform P2V using vmware converter where it would only take the guest OS logical partitions in to account.

douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Agreed, this is also a fine way to achieve the goal.

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
0 Kudos