VMware Cloud Community
nmedard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Collet hardware infos on esxi

Hello,

I have some dell servers which I manage remotely.  There is ESX 5.1 installed on these servers. 

I need to upgrade them to include new network card.

However, I need to know :

1. How many PCI slots

2. Which cards is plug-in into which slots

Can anyone tell me which commands can I use to get the infos please?

ths

Nicolas

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MattiasN81
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Dell's OMSA will provide you with that.

Download the dell OpenManage Server Administrator VIB for ESXi 5.1 and install it on the ESXi host using Update Manager or esxcli command.

Normally on WIndows and Linux systems this package comes with a Web GUI but due to the nature of ESXi the Web GUI dosen't exist.

So to get a web GUI you also need to download the Windows / Linux OMSA package and install it on a virtual machine.

then just point a browser to https://VMNAME:1311 and type in the IP-adress/Name in the WebGUI to the ESXi host, and you will have a nice view over the hardware

VMware Certified Professional 6 - DCV VMware VTSP Software Defined Storage Dell Blade Server Solutions - EMEA Certified Dell PowerEdge Server Solutions - EMEA Certfied Dell Certified Storage Deployment Professional Dell EMC Proven Professional If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Helpful or Correct
0 Kudos
nmedard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello MattiasN81,

Thank you for your advise.

How can I know if OMSA is already install on the ESXi.

These ESXi are in production and I can't take the risk to install new thing on it.  This is why I asked if there is a way to know if Omsa is already install on the ESXi

thank you

Niocolas

0 Kudos
MattiasN81
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

OMSA is not a part of the VMware standard ESXi ISO nor the Dell customized ESXi ISO, if you haven't installed the vib yourself its not installed.

However if you want to make sure u can logon to the esxi shell via SSH and run "esxcli software vib list" and look for "OpenManage" in the vib list.

VMware Certified Professional 6 - DCV VMware VTSP Software Defined Storage Dell Blade Server Solutions - EMEA Certified Dell PowerEdge Server Solutions - EMEA Certfied Dell Certified Storage Deployment Professional Dell EMC Proven Professional If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Helpful or Correct
0 Kudos
nmedard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello MattiasN81.

Thank you.

I run the command and not "OpenManage" is installed.

Can you please tell me if the installation of open manage consist only of running the command "vib software install "path of the Opena Manage VIB"??

How the configuration is done after the installation?

Thank you

Nicolas

0 Kudos
MattiasN81
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, you only install the .vib with vib software install command, then reboot the host, no more configuration is needed

0 Kudos