VMware Cloud Community
Jam1eG
Contributor
Contributor

Cold "offline" clone - what's the latest version of an ISO that will do this

Hi all

I need to cold "offline" clone an active directory server to our 5.5 platform and I've had a couple of issues with v4.0.3 P2v software on a cold clone on this box, not had issues using this CD prior to 5.5 upgrade, can anyone advise is there a later version of a p2v converter that will handle cold "offline" cloning?

Cheers in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Jamie,

You are probably using the older version of VMware converter. You have to use the most latest convertor if you want to migrate the server to vSphere 5.5.

Thanks,

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
0 Kudos
Jam1eG
Contributor
Contributor

Cheers for the reply - I can't find a later version that advises it will support boot from CD clone method to perform an offline server clone.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Alternatively you cold also look at the "Makyo" fling -> https://labs.vmware.com/flings/makyo

~dGeorgey

0 Kudos
Jam1eG
Contributor
Contributor

Hi gGeorgey

That looks like v2v spftware not p2v via boot CD.?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah. Thats right. I took the question wrong. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi..

Have you tried targeting an ESXi host directly, and not vCenter, when cloning?

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I still have a construction kit for a coldclone CD based on BartPE on my site.
The buildtool unfortunately looks for a download for the BartPE builder that no longer exists - so you have to download pebuilder manually.
Finding Converter 3.0.3 is also getting harder every year - a few websites still offer a copy.

Though I often do P2V I no longer use Windows LiveCDs with Converter at all - I found that using a Linux LiveCD plus latest Converter inside any ESXi VM does the job so much better that I also stopped to update the Construction-kit.

Before you ask - I have not found the time to document my new approach yet - if you need help with creating your own Coldclone Iso call me via skype "sanbarrow"
Then I can talk you through the required steps.
The result is much better than the original VMware Iso as this one includes much more drivers and also uses the latest ones if necessary

Ulli

0 Kudos
Jam1eG
Contributor
Contributor

Cheers for all your ideas / advice on this one.

In the end my solution was to create a virtual machine with the free ESXi 5.0 and create/use an NFS share that is shared between the 5.5 plaform and 5.0, from there cold clone using 4.0 or 4.0.3 into the free ESXi remove from the inventory, add to inventory on 5.5, migrate to a "normal" datastore and crack on from there. No new hardware needed or anything, just the overheads for another virtual machine

0 Kudos