VMware Cloud Community
JeffZep
Contributor
Contributor

Cold migrated a VM with a snapshot to a new datastore and after the move the VM lost its current state (changes since last snapshot). Why?

I have an ESXi Essentials 5.1 server using local storage. I recently added a new datastore to it (NAS via iSCSI, VMFS). I shut down the VM (Windows Server 2012 with one 4 month old snapshot), and chose Migrate --> Change Datastore. vSphere moved the VM without issue.

When I turned on the VM after the migration, it appears that it lost its current state and reverted to the 4 month old snapshot. I verified that by looking at the Windows Event Viewer entry datestamps.

Does anyone know why this would've happened? According to VMware's documentation it sounds like migration with snapshots is supported. I was hoping to get the current state back but I'm guessing that it's lost since I don't see any files relating to the VM in the original datastore. Luckily this isn't a production server yet but I would hate for this to happen to a more important VM.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
4 Replies
corvettefisher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is the snapshot showing in the snap manager?

0 Kudos
JeffZep
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the 4 month old snapshot shows in Snapshot Manager. Honestly, if I realized it was there before the migration I would've deleted it, but it sounds like the migration should still work.

0 Kudos
chaplina
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you sure the disk was configured as persistent?

0 Kudos
JeffZep
Contributor
Contributor

It's configured as Dependent.

0 Kudos