VMware Cloud Community
lindsayb
Contributor
Contributor

Clustered ESXi boxes sharing usb keys

This is an odd scenario, so I will try to be as detailed as possible.

We have several pieces of software that require physical usb keys for licensing. Currently we have each usb key mapped to individual VMs (the different licensing managers do not play well with each other). We would like to add another ESXi host and cluster the current host with it for redundancy, failover, etc. I know that while the usb keys are plugged into the current host that the VMs will not have access to them if migrated to another host. However, I was curious if I installed a usb hub that both hosts could see if the VMs would be able to migrate from host to host and keep the usb configuration to the proper key. (My guess is no, but I was told to ask, so I am.) Thanks for the read.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
scottyyyc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't think the USB spec supports any sort of shared access, even when using some sort of hub/spliiter, so I reckon this won't work. Remember, NTFS/FAT are not cluster-aware file systems, so you don't want mutliple hosts reading/writing to a shared USB key. The file system would corrupt very quickly.

The only major way I know of people overcoming this is through various USB-over-IP systems. I dealt with these licensing keys/FOBs a lot at a past company, and it's a royal pain to get around (luckily, most the manufacturers we were dealing with were moving away from fobs). We researched a similar scenario (where a VM was needing access to a USB device [fax modem]), and the only real solution seemed to ensuring that VM always ran on the specific host (otherwise manually plugging the USB into the other host(s).

In other words, a royal PITA. I wonder if anyone else out there has come up with any amazing solutions to this.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Scotty is correct you would not be able to share a USB from one host to another - I would look at an IP based USB hub like Digi's USBAnywhere - thie will allow the VMs to connect to a virtual USB port via your IP network and this way you will be abel to vmotion the vms between hosts.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I know that while the usb keys are plugged into the current host that the VMs will not have access to them if migrated to another host.

we can configure USB devices to keep connected though the VMs are migrated to a Host which doesnt have the device connected.

See this video

http://www.screencast.com/users/esloof/folders/Online+VMware+Training/media/60437bba-0f63-439b-9bd5-...

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc_50/GUID-6D2A3FFF-...

0 Kudos