VMware Cloud Community
Ace007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Closing Getting Started Tabs closes the vSphere Client

Hello Friends,

I have an weired situation. One of our office which contains vSphere 4.0 setup with vCenter 4.0. Basically its a small setup with around 40 VM's.

Everything is working fine.

Recently i have noticed that Getting started tabs are present on all views. I tried to Disable then from - vSphere Client > Edit > Client Settings > Uncheck Show Getting Started Tab. But still these are not moving. If i try to close a particular Getting started tab by clicking Clost Tab button, it closes my vSphere Client, Strange !!!

I keep on opening the vsphere client, connecting to vCenter and if i try to close any tab it closes complete vSphere client..

Any Idea why it is happening ?????

Please advice.

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Bulldog02
Contributor
Contributor

Are you logged in as the administrator to the vCenter Server to make these changes?  Could it be permissions?  Log in with the highest priviledge and try to disable from the vCenter Server.

I would also try uninstalling the VI Client and reinstalling, could be corrupted?

Also, maybe an install over the top of vCenter Server, make sure to use the existing database.

If I were to spend too much time on it and the database wasn't critical.  I'd do a rebuild of vCenter Server, I would think it would be faster than troubleshooting.  Be sure to document HA, DRS, permissions, yada, yada, setttings...  Plus in the end you have a fresh vCenter Server.

This is a new one for me, but these are things I would try first.

0 Kudos
Ace007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Bulldog02

I am having Administrator permissions, I remember month ago was able to close the tab by clicking clost tab option. I dont know what happen now.

But i can try to re-install the vSphere client rathar vCenter,

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've had this happen in the past. The resolution at the time was to enable Getting Started tabs and click OK, then disable them and click OK again.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
Ace007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Chriswahl00,

As per your solution, i did that before but didn't worked. After some i thought to repair the vSphere client install and to try these setps, and it worked !!

I am happy, but still only one page is there in VDR appliance and its not movine. any idea how to kick it out..

0 Kudos