VMware Cloud Community
sodasin
Contributor
Contributor

Cloning vm's joined to ad

Good Morning,

I've got a question regarding cloning machines.  I typically never use this feature instead rely on snapshots and backups but if it's beneficial I might look into using it.  I have a live machine running Windows Server 2008 R2 joined to a domain I'd like to make a clone of, rename the machine and it needs to be joined as well so I can work off of it.  Various guides I've been reading states that I might have issues regarding the SID being the same after powering up the cloned machine.  Is this even possible to do?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

As part of the cloning you can generate a new SID for the cloned machine so there should be no issue -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
sodasin
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think I saw that option.  I assume that's through the Customization Wizard?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

that is correct -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
sodasin
Contributor
Contributor

Something I forgot to add, does it matter if I do this in a hot or cold cloning scenario?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Have not done a cold clone in a while but I believe it does not matter - customization wizard will still run - 

0 Kudos
sodasin
Contributor
Contributor

Based on a few tests I did, after running the wizard after cloning.  It didn't seem to rename the machine to what I set it to or join it to the domain, it did change the UID.  Not only that but it wanted to change the local administrators username to the default.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong here but I hope there's some way of fixing it.

0 Kudos