VMware Cloud Community
Sam30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cloning a virtual machine with snapshots results in new virtual machine disks with names as "ResultantVM-000001-flat.vmdk" & "ResultantVM-000001.vmdk.

ESXi 5.5

I've a VM with snapshot on it which I took when the machine was in POWERED OFF state & when I COLD CLONE a machine from that, the resultant VM disks are named as "ResultantVM-000001-flat.vmdk" & "ResultantVM-000001.vmdk.

Which shouldn't be the case as the resultant VM doesn't have any snapshots on it, the resultant VM's disks should come out as normal "ResultantVM.vmdk" & "ResultantVM.vmdk"

This has never been the case before 5.5, I know this is an expected behavior in 5.5 for a HOT CLONE machines as per this KB VMware KB: Cloning a virtual machine with snapshots results in new virtual machine disks being named...

But does anyone know why is it happening in the case of cold clone ?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bhards4
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

As per your issue discreption that shows vm is running on snapshot, might be you have not done snapshot consolidation and suddenly you have tried doing that VM.

Is it possible if you can provide me the logs of that VM.

Regards,

Bhards4

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert

Try Storage VMotioning it to another datastore.

Actually, do both a host and storage vmotion.

0 Kudos
Sam30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Like I said my source VM is with snapshot , that's what I'm cloning to get the resultant VM.

And the resultant VM is not with snapshot but still gives the disk names as -000001.vmdk, that's what my query is without a snapshot why is it doing so?

You can test in you ESXi 5.5 environment as well its the same in all case.

0 Kudos
Sam30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have already tried that, it does remove the -00000 from the disk files coz of storage vMotion but it changes the file names from

"ResultantVM-000001.vmdk to ResultantVM_3.vmdk

&

ResultantVM_1-000001.vmdk to ResultantVM_2.vmdk"

with which it'll look like the first two disks have been removed from the VM

0 Kudos