VMware Cloud Community
TheKid7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cloning a VM Which Contains An Existing Licensed Windows Operating System

I have a Dell VRTX with three Blades and five VM's.  All five VM's have Windows Server 2012 R2 64 bit as the Operating System.

In the near future, I will create at least two new VM's which also are to have Windows Server 2012 R2 64 bit as the Operating System.  To make things easy for myself, I would like to just Clone one of the existing five VM's to make the new VM's.  This should be easier than making a VM from scratch.

However, I am concerned about the existing Windows Licensing.  Ideally I would like to Clone one of the existing VM's, delete (format?) the Windows Server 2012 R2 64 bit installation in the newly created VM and then do a fresh install of Windows Server 2012 R2 64 bit, install VMware Tools, etc. in the new VM.

1.  What happens in the short period of time that duplicate Windows Licenses are active?  I am concerned that one or both Window's installations will become de-activated, as a result.

2.  Is there a better/safer way of accomplishing my goal of creating new VM's?

3.  Are there any additional tips, comments or questions?

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ClintColding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are your VM's members of a domain? If you are going to blow away the OS drive then just make sure that the first time it boots (if you need to boot) you disable the vNICs. Personally I would create from scratch, especially if they are domain members.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ClintColding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are your VM's members of a domain? If you are going to blow away the OS drive then just make sure that the first time it boots (if you need to boot) you disable the vNICs. Personally I would create from scratch, especially if they are domain members.

0 Kudos
TheKid7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yesterday, I created a new VM from scratch and installed Windows Server 2012 R2 64 bit in the VM.  Creating a VM from scratch was easier than I thought.

0 Kudos