VMware Cloud Community
Cbaur88
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cloning Virtual Machines ESXi

Hello, I am new to vmware and virtualization. I recenly have downloaded and been learning ESXi more specific cloning the Virtual Machines. My question is when I clone a virtual machine should it be EXACTLY as the virtual machine I am cloning from? My guess is yes it should that it what cloning is isn't it? I've been testing this installing small apps like Winzip on a W2k3 server on the golden image and cloning only to see and find out that the app is not installed on the cloned virtual machine. If anyone can shed light or help I'd greatly appreciate it.

P.S. This virtualization stuff is really awesome.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

cloning is really a feature of vCenter, so without vCenter there are other ways to do it, but it may not yield the same results. You are cloning this guest using vCenter?

Do you happen to have an active snapshot on that guest? If so, that is also a feature of vCenter and if you are cloning a VM with snapshots you will definitely see inconsistencies. If you have snapshots (Check snapshot manager), delete them, then try the clone, you will probably have better success

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, cloning is an exact copy. This is assuming you didn't sysprep.

0 Kudos
Cbaur88
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No sysprep, just a routine clone from Vsphere client. I must be missing something. Should I be copying more than the .vmdk file? Also I notice there are more then 1 .vmdk files in some of the virtual machines. Should I be copying them both? The O/S is cloned, Admin PW is the same, etc...but the small app I installed or any dummy files created on desktop do not appear. My appologies, I am a noob!!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

cloning is really a feature of vCenter, so without vCenter there are other ways to do it, but it may not yield the same results. You are cloning this guest using vCenter?

Do you happen to have an active snapshot on that guest? If so, that is also a feature of vCenter and if you are cloning a VM with snapshots you will definitely see inconsistencies. If you have snapshots (Check snapshot manager), delete them, then try the clone, you will probably have better success

0 Kudos
Cbaur88
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

</div>

Troy thanks so much for your posts. I was able to correct the problem which your second paragraph was exactly on target. I had taken several snapshots of the Virtural machine. I believe this created several .vmdx files. I chose the correct file this time and the clone was an identical match. You would have answered my question so I thank you very much.

Being the noob I am I haven't gotten around to VCenter just yet. I've found video and documentation from Vmware on cloing using ESXi only.This is another exciting world of IT. My mind is running away from me with all the possibilites virtualizatin can do in general and for our small company. Thanks!

0 Kudos