VMware Cloud Community
mbsizer
Contributor
Contributor

Cloned machine will not boot

Having trouble getting a cloned machine to boot.  It boots itself in a continuous cycle of Windows Error Recovery.  You can choose Safe Mode (Safe Mode w/ Networking, etc.) or Start Windows Normally.  After the countdown of "Start Windows Normally", it will display the "Ctrl + Alt + Delete" log on screen.  When you attempt to log in, the machine will boot and display the Shutdown Event Tracker.  Once you enter a "comment" in the field & click OK, it will continuously reboot itself.

Here's what I have attempted to do:

1) I cloned the machine the first time not using the customization wizard.  Once the machine was finished and powered on, it would start in the continuous boot cycle.  I deleted that machine.

2) I cloned the machine again this time using the customization wizard, choosing the option for the machine to be part of the "Workgroup" not the domain.  Once the machine was finished and powered on, it would start in the continuous boot cycle.  I deleted that machine.

3) I cloned the machine again this time using the customization wizard, choosing the option for the machine to be part of the "Domain".  Once the machine was finished and powered on, it would start in the continuous boot cycle.  I deleted that machine.

With each cloning attempt, I ensured the NIC was powered off (to make sure it wouldn't interfere with the original machine in any way).

Not sure what I'm doing wrong or what setting I need to make this work.  Any suggestions are welcome!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What type of license do you use? Maybe the Windows OS requires activation!?

You may be able to remotely access the Windows event log to see whether this contains any hints.

André

PS: Please let me know which VMware product you are using, so I can move your question to the appropriate forum.

0 Kudos
mbsizer
Contributor
Contributor

I have the Standard License.  My Windows OS has already been activated. Since I can't get the machine to boot, I am unable to get to the Windows event log.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

What VMware product and version are you using?

0 Kudos
mbsizer
Contributor
Contributor

I am using vCenter Server 5.0

Vcenter.jpg

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved from Community Website Help to VMware ESXi 5.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

how exactly did you clone the VM ?

0 Kudos
mbsizer
Contributor
Contributor

I selected the "Clone to New Virual Machine" option.  From there, I have selected the "do not customize" and selected the "customization wizard".  With both servers once they are cloned, they will not boot.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I would compare both vmx-files next

0 Kudos
mbsizer
Contributor
Contributor

After much testing, I learned the machine that is being cloned (Ex. Server A) must be turned OFF in order for the cloned machine (Ex. Server B) to boot up successfully & correctly.

0 Kudos
jb12345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you cloned it did you change the name?

0 Kudos
mbsizer
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I did.

0 Kudos