VMware Cloud Community
hristo1977
Contributor
Contributor

Cloned Win 2003 machine running Citrix fails with "ctxgina.dll failed to load"

Hi!

I have cloned a Win 2003 which went good, until the final reboot (for sysprep). Then I get this:

ctx_fail.jpg

Any way around it?

I see on my other VM (the one I cloned) that it runs Windows from M:. I guesss thats the problem.

How do I fix this?

Regards

H

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Does this vm run from m: also?  Does that dll exist in the correct location as specified in the error message?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
hristo1977
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

The VM is cloned. But I dont think sysprep keep the Windows partition on M:. The error pops up when the new VM boots up. So I cant log in at all.

Regards

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

You should be able to get into safe mode.  Once you're in there, you can modify that ginadll registry value (HKLM\Softw

are\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon\GinaDLL) to point to the right place.
-KjB
vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Since it looks like the Citrix server drive remapping mechanism was used when the server was set up, your only option is to fix the drive letter mapping, so the system drive will be M: again. To do this you may need to change the key for the current C: drive from \DosDevices\C: to \DosDevices\M: in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. If \DosDevices\M: is already used, change it to e.g. \DosDevices\Z:

If safe boot does not work you may need to boot from a Windows live CD/ISO or temporarily attach the virtual disk to a helper VM (another Windows 2003/XP VM) as a second drive to be able to access the system.dat.

However, the chances there is at least some minor corruption after the conversion are high.

André

PS: If the cloned server is accessible through the network, you may also be able to change the drive letter assignment using remote registry.

0 Kudos