VMware Cloud Community
mrprofessorx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cloned VM won't match its files after rename, svmotion

I recently cloned a VM, lets say from 'server1' to 'server 1 clone'.  Once the original VM was deleted, the display name for 'server1 clone' was renamed to 'server1'

OK, typically, to match up the VM's files to its display name, I storage vmotion the VM from one datastore to another.  (Directions: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1029513)

Well that hasn't worked.  All of the files still say 'server1 clone'.vmdk, .vmx, etc etc.

Currently running vSphere 5 on Enterprise Plus.  Is my only way to "fix" this is to use the console?  Eeek..

By the way, the VM in question is our vCenter server.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Slingsh0t
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I always thought this was expected behaviour and that an sVmotion only renamed the VM folder, not the files within it?  Actually after reading that KB I see that the files should in fact be renamed too.  Interesting... when I svmotion a vm I'm getting the same result as you, the filenames aren't changing?

Edit: Just tried again with an offline VM that I created from scratch.  Folder name changed, all files stayed the same.  That KB you referred to doesn't actually mention ESXi 5 in the applicable product versions.  I imagine then what we're seeing is expected behaviour after all.  Perhaps a future update for ESXi will add the file renaming feature.

0 Kudos
mrprofessorx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I noticed that ESXi 5 wasn't referenced in the KB either.  I'm not sure why that feature would be removed from this release though... But I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this.

0 Kudos
abbie11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi can you please add the renamed vmx file  again hope solved this problem.

Because in mycase its working .

Yours, Abbie

Winning!
0 Kudos
mrprofessorx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I opened a ticket with VMware... I'll update this once I have a resolution.

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Known issue: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2008877

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
mrprofessorx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not sure why I never found that KB, thanks for your help.  Guess I'll wait for a patch!

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

No, problem m8. Im just happy to see that they've actually created a KB describing this 🙂

As you, I do this a lot as I like the naming to be identical all the way..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos