VMware Cloud Community
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cloned 2 servers but now the original servers are not part of the domain

I have 2 servers that I cloned, and I'm sure they are full clones-my first major attempt at this. Yesterday I was able to log into them fine but today I can only log in locally as if they are no longer part of the domain. Did I miss a step in the cloning process? The weird thing is these are 2 Blackboard learning system production servers and that part for the users is working fine.

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There is no need to do a full reconvert on those guest,  just move into a dummy domain,  Then add it back to the correct domain, if these guests have different Computer names then they will add to the domain as new member servers, as side effect of this is that they will get a New Domain SID too.

If as I supect they actually have not got a new computer name then you will need to run sysprep on the two guests to make them unique. this will change the local SID, and Computer name, then once complete. re add them to the domain.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AustinArnold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did you power on the source machines since you took the clones? What has probably happened is that the machine authenticaion ticket has updated with AD and the source machines, but the clones won't have this. To log in on the clones again, remove them from the domain and re-add them. This will then mean that the source servers won't be able to authenicate against the domain though.

If you are needing to keep and use both source and clones I would SYSPREP the clone and give it a new name and IP.

macpiano
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I actually never powered off the source ones but I did give the cloned ones new names. That would not have changed the sid. I need to get the source ones back up 100% and I will re-do the cloning but use the sysprep when cloning. Anything special after I turn off the cloned ones and re add the source ones back in to the domain-will I have any issues with that?

thanks

0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You gave the machine a new name in VMware during the cloning process but that has nothing to do with the Windows hostname.

Austin is correct when you powered those up they superceded the physical ones in active directory hence you cannot login via the domain anymore on the old machines.

Get your old physical machines working again be re-joining the domain. Then clone. Before you power on the clone remove the network adapters from it so it can't talk on the network and screw up the running machine.

Power it on, sysprep, rename the machine and join it to a workgroup.

Then re-add the virtual NIC, power it ON, provide a new IP and join to domain.  ----This is assuming you want to keep the old and new machines on the network at the same time.

macpiano
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did just that, I put them in workgroups then rejoined the domain. I deleted the cloned ones and will sysprep them from the get go when I clone the production ones.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There is no need to do a full reconvert on those guest,  just move into a dummy domain,  Then add it back to the correct domain, if these guests have different Computer names then they will add to the domain as new member servers, as side effect of this is that they will get a New Domain SID too.

If as I supect they actually have not got a new computer name then you will need to run sysprep on the two guests to make them unique. this will change the local SID, and Computer name, then once complete. re add them to the domain.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos