ElGarufo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Clon?, Migrate?...vMotion with migrate? (5.1), FASTER??

Hello,

I have seen that in the new vSphere 5.1, the vMotion technlogy has improved with the migration of storage of the virtual machine. which is the differencia between this and the vStorage Motion feature?.

Considering that, which is the faster and best way to migrate a virtual machine from a datastore to another???...I know that Converter is slow for this, it you only want to "move" the machine. Is it faster migrating from cloning?? (cloning to have a "backup" until to test all the service in the machine)

thanks in advanced guys, great job!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

in 4.X and 5.0 you got the vMotion (moves the VM to another host) and the Storage vMotion (moves the vmdk to another storage). What you mean as new in 5.1 is the enhanced vMotion, which combines the two old features into one, So you can say move the VM from Host A on storage A to Host B on Storage B and do this in one task. Before 5.1 you needed two do this in two steps.

I would prefere this migration over the cloning, as cloning will give you downtime. You need to power off the original VM on Host A and power it back on on Host B. This is avoided with the enhanced vMotion.

Regards

0 Kudos