VMware Cloud Community
jamaxwell
Contributor
Contributor

Clipboard (copy/paste) operations not working after upgrade to 4.1

Copy/Paste from my desktop to the VM console via the vSphere client does not work. Guest clipboard doesn't ever get into client's clipboard and vice versa. (See steps to reproduce for details).

ESXi: 4.1.0-260247, vSphere client: 4.1.0-258902

I first noticed this in Lab Manager, but then I verified that its not working through the vsphere client connected directly to the host either. However, the clipboard does work with the 4.1 client connected to a 4.0.0-208111 vcenter server.

Upgrading the guests' VMware tools & hardware version does not help. Happens on both windows & linux guests and multiple varieties of windows clients (haven't tried it from a linux box).

Steps to reproduce:

1. On client desktop start notepad

2. type 'desktop' in notepad

3. Select 'desktop' and copy to clipboard (Ctrl+C)

4. Open guest console, start notepad

5. Paste into (guest's) notepad

1. nothing happens ('desktop' should appear)

6. type 'guest' in (guest's) notepad

7. Select 'guest' and copy to clipboard (Ctrl+C)

8. Paste into client's notepad

1. 'desktop' appears (should be 'guest')

0 Kudos
26 Replies
CapiZikus
Contributor
Contributor

that code flushed my server early and you know that Smiley Happy good work man! (next time save to a file and attach them LOL

0 Kudos
jamaxwell
Contributor
Contributor

Bash script attached. Updates to VMs that are powered on (or deployed in LM) will get overwritten when the VM is undeployed.

I've run it from esxi 4.1 to test it, but I'm actually going to run it on a different linux box since I didn't see cron on my esxi box. Long story, but I'm going to have to run it every 15 minutes for a month or so...

Updated file again.

Message was edited by: jamaxwell - Had my unix guy take a look at it and he made some improvements (mostly adding quotes)

0 Kudos
CollinMcClendon
Contributor
Contributor

The parameter that you gave worked! (isolation.tools.copy.disable) Thanks so much for finding this information, luckily I caught this early in my build, I updated my template and now will propogate the change to the cloned VMs....As for the others it was a bit tedious editing 8 VMs, glad I didn't have 2000 yet!

0 Kudos
CapiZikus
Contributor
Contributor

the problem resolved! check out the script..

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1595264#1595264

0 Kudos
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi all,

here http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1026437

is official statement from VMware, i.e. no bug but security reasons...

0 Kudos
sgtserge
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

we are experiencing the same problem, tried to solve as told in the KB, but still have the same issue.

Any clue?

thanks

Sergio

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No man, This article: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1026437

is still doesn't enable the clipboard between my vSphere client and Windows clipboard.

I have added:

isolation.tools.copy.disable="FALSE"
isolation.tools.paste.disable="FALSE"

and also restarted the VM couple of times still doesn't work on my ESX 4.0.0 398348

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos