VMware Cloud Community
bondurant67
Contributor
Contributor

Client-connected usb devices over RDP

Hi ,

One of our customers has an structure with three ESXi 5.0 where are running several virtualized servers. One of them is a Windows 2003 Server which provides terminal server services. They are installing thin clients, axel ax3000, connecting to this server trough RDP. At the moment we are not able to see USB devices plugged into the axel clients, however these devices are correctly redirected to the terminal sesion when the same thin client connects to a non virtualized server in the same domain.

I have been checking documentation and I have found the way to passthrough usb devices connected to the host, wich is not the case, or how to use a usb device connected to the client via vsphere client, which is neither.

The question is, is there any way to redirect a usb device client-connected to a terminal server session using only the RDP client?

Thanks and regards.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Hi,

just to clarify: if you connect by RDP to the non-virtualized server and the USB device is available, is this server also a terminal server or just a domain member server or DC?

If it's not a terminal server I would start checking the configuration of your (virtualized) terminal server, I guess that USB devices (e.g. additional drive letters) are just not allowed and therefor not shown in a terminal session.

Maybe this KB helps: Local drive redirection not working in RDP Session</title> <!-- integration code for PDF --...

cykVM

0 Kudos