VMware Cloud Community
vmESXi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Client Connection to ESXi4 Confusion

I have successfully installed ESXi4 after having bypassed many obstacles of incompatibility and other issues. But now that its successfully installed, I cannot access the sever through a remote client.

The next step that I have to do is enter the ip address in the browser, but when I do enter it nothing happens! It just times out or does not connect at all.

• I have read that the server's time clock must be set to current time and I have done that, but it still hasn't fixed the problem.

I can ping the ESXi server from command prompt but cannot connect through the browser to download the VI client in order to manage the server.

Fact: I am running the ESXi server on a switched network that has no routers or dhcp servers in it. I have given the server as well as the workstations static ip addresses so that they can connect and talk (ping) to each other. Maybe this is a problem that does not allow for connection due to the fact that I do not have a gateway or dns in my network.

Help with this issues is definitely required because I truly cannot understand what is the problem.

Thank you in advance for your input Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mr_Gimper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One thing to check is that you don't have a bogus proxy server set in your browser.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Windows has a lot of built in services to self discover other devices on the network. ESXi does not. You may not need to have dhcp or dns but you really need a router. Even if it doesn't go anywhere.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
Mr_Gimper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

WTF? Read that again and tell me why exactly the OP NEEDS a router ?

0 Kudos
Mr_Gimper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One thing to check is that you don't have a bogus proxy server set in your browser.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have often seen difficulty accessing an ESXi host without a gateway.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Mr_Gimper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ah fair enough, sorry but when you said router I thought you were implying a hardware device

0 Kudos
vmESXi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great News!!!!

The various responses were very insightful and helpful.

1. I do not have immidiate access to a router, thus I could not implement it as part of my solution.

2. But, when I looked my browser, it had a proxy server setting check on. (Cause of the problem)

I unchecked the proxy setting and rebooted the system and everything was able to work just the way it's supposed to.

Put the ip address into the browser and it connected. Now im configuring the vi client which finally was able to connect!!!

Thank you so much to everybody for the very useful help. I can't believe little things like these cause such horrible impacts and errors on the system.

*_Fact:_ * When configuring and connecting to ESXi 4 host, DO NOT have a proxy setting enabled.

0 Kudos