Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Clarification Regarding Cores

Just to clarify, here's what I have:

2 Sockets

4 Cores

Hyperthreading: Active

This should mean I have 16 Logical Processors that I can tinker with before getting to a point where my VMs with more cores will have to wait for processors to become available, correct?

I'd like to put 4 VMs with 4 processors on one host. That will bring me to 16 and they'll never have to wait. Does that sound right? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Always a big thanks to the community in advance! Dan Lee
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It actually depends on the workload of the VM's. ESXi does a pretty good job with CPU scheduling, so you could even provision more vCPUs, than available logical processors. In any case, don't forget that the host itself will need some processing power too.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It actually depends on the workload of the VM's. ESXi does a pretty good job with CPU scheduling, so you could even provision more vCPUs, than available logical processors. In any case, don't forget that the host itself will need some processing power too.

André

0 Kudos
SyApps
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Right, at this point in time I just have so many hosts available that I may as well spread the load out and never go beyond the amount of logical processors. I was more concerned with the strange idea in my head that hyperthreading didn't count when calculating this and I really only had 8 cores to play with.

Always a big thanks to the community in advance! Dan Lee
0 Kudos