VMware Cloud Community
snootalope
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cisco Call Manager and DHCP beyond vswitch

I've got a test lab setup for our 8.6 cicso call managers running in  vmware.  Everythings up and working.  However, I can't get any phones to  pick up IP addresses from my publisher/dhcp server 172.16.1.1.  DHCP works fine within the vswitch in vmware but nothing beyond.  This might be an issue with the config on my cisco switch, but thought I'd check here incase there's something else I need to do on the vswitch.

I can ping  everything from all directions no problem.  I've got physical hosts on the cisco switch that can ping the call managers and vice versa.  I'm guessing it's a vlan  tagging issue, but not sure where to fix this.  I don't have a router in the lab, only the switch which is setup as the gateway for the call managers.

Call Managers - 172.16.1.1 (publisher) Default Gateway is 172.16.1.254
...DHCP subnet is 172.16.1.0/24
VMware vSwitch - no vlan tagging, the vswtich is set to None (0)
Cisco 3524 - IP Vlan1 172.16.1.254
...The port that connects switch to vmware host...
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport access vlan 172
switchport mode trunk
switchport vocie vlan 172
spanning-tree portfast
...The port I have a phone plugged into...
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk
switchport vocie vlan 172

Again,  I can ping everything in and out of the switch just fine.  I just can't  get anything on the physical switch to pick up a dhcp address from  172.16.1.1.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is promisc mode & mac address forging enabled on your vswitch and portgroup - with out that DHCP wont work.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is promisc mode & mac address forging enabled on your vswitch and portgroup - with out that DHCP wont work.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
snootalope
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That seems to have don it.  Thanks.

0 Kudos