VMware Cloud Community
MariusRoma
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Choosing the right network adapter

I have 2 Windows Server 2008 R2 based VMs hosted by VMware ESXi 5.0 hosts and managed by vShpere 5.0.

The VMs act as an application server and a terminal server.

Users report poor networking performance and sometime network errors in the connection between the 2 VMs.

Both VMs are configured to use E1000 virtual network adapters.

Is it advisable to change the virtual network adapter types to VMXNET 2 or to VMXNET 3?

Should we expect better performances and less network errors?

As I don't see any option to change the network adapter type, what is the best procedure to change the network adapter type? Should I add a new network adapter, change the address of the existing one, configure the new network adapter with the old IP address and delete the old network adapter or is there a better procedure?

Regards

marius

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MagnetBoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have done this several times.

1. Add ethernet Adapter type: VMXNET 3
  2. now, you have two Network adapters
  3. login to the guest OS
    1. Setup IP address to the new adapter with the old IP address, DO NOT APPLY the changes...
      1. go to vSphere Client
      2. Edit settings for the VM
      3. select old network adapter and
        1. uncheck "connected" and "connect at power on" check boxes under "Device Status"
        2. click OK.
      4. go back to the OS
        1. and click OK to apply the new IP address to the new network adapter.  you will se a warning saying about IP duplicate and asking you to fix it.  click cancel.
  4. go back to the VM's edit settings in vSphere Client
    1. and remove old network adapter
  5. done!
VMware Certified Professional – Datacenter Virtualization (vSphere 5)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

If you use ESXi5, you must change the vmxnet2 to vmxnet3 a virtual card that is newer, and performative but with a leaner driver. Too is a best practices keep up to date.
Do not forget to also update VMware Tools and Virtual HW.

Here's some information here http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100180...

You might don´t see option to change network adapter because may this virtual machine have hardware virtual v4. (check).

To change adapter, i recommend get a  backup of configuration IP of your current adapter, if it disappear after change, you´ve all information to configure again.

VMXNET 3 is supported only for virtual machines version 7 and later, with a limited set of guest operating systems:

• 32- and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows XP,7, 2003, 2003 R2, 2008, and 2008 R2
  • 32- and 64-bit versions of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0 and later
  • 32- and 64-bit versions of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 and later
  • 32- and 64-bit versions of Asianux 3 and later
  • 32- and 64-bit versions of Debian 4
  • 32- and 64-bit versions of Ubuntu 7.04 and later
  • 32- and 64-bit versions of Sun Solaris 10 U4 and later 
*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Suggest to use VMXNET3 as a network adapter.

As I don't see any option to change the network adapter type, what is the best procedure to change the network adapter type

Have you upgraded the host from earlier version to ESXi 5.0 if so you have upgrade VMware Tools and Virtual Hardware version. VMXNET3 option is available only with virtual hardware version 7

There is no option to change the network adapter online, suggest to make a note of IP settings and remove the current NIC and add a new NIC with VMXNET and re-configure the network settings

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
MagnetBoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have done this several times.

1. Add ethernet Adapter type: VMXNET 3
  2. now, you have two Network adapters
  3. login to the guest OS
    1. Setup IP address to the new adapter with the old IP address, DO NOT APPLY the changes...
      1. go to vSphere Client
      2. Edit settings for the VM
      3. select old network adapter and
        1. uncheck "connected" and "connect at power on" check boxes under "Device Status"
        2. click OK.
      4. go back to the OS
        1. and click OK to apply the new IP address to the new network adapter.  you will se a warning saying about IP duplicate and asking you to fix it.  click cancel.
  4. go back to the VM's edit settings in vSphere Client
    1. and remove old network adapter
  5. done!
VMware Certified Professional – Datacenter Virtualization (vSphere 5)
0 Kudos