VMware Cloud Community
Fergieman201110
Contributor
Contributor

Check a server for migration

Hi Guys

I have an old physical SQL box that I would like to convert to virtual into our Vsphere 5 environment.

I don't want to convert it straight , as I would liket to make sure it would run fine virtually.

Is there a tool I can use to check it before I consider converting it in Vsphere 5 ?

Hope you can help

0 Kudos
2 Replies
orczakm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey!

My suggestion would be to use the VMware Standalone Converter. With this tool you can test the physical machine compatibility ..... then, when using the Standalone Converter, one step before starting the convert process (summary) you can choose to

"Turn off old machine when job is done" <= deactivate

"Turn on new machine when job ist done" <= deactivate

After the convert process is done you can decide how to continue your "working" tests as per your internal structure. (as example, we have a test-network that is attached to our esx servers, so, we are able to change the nic for the machine, and then we can start them into a test-lab) .... If you have no testlab you can just deactivate the nix in the vm-machine settings. This will cause some problems after starting the machine (windows services cannot be started, etc.) - but you will see if the machine starts up.

Greetz,

Matthias

Die Welt ist binär - es gibt nur einsen und Nullen
0 Kudos
yann_bizeul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I may be a bit integrist, but basically, you can virtualize anything.

We have lot of customers virtualizing Oracle workload for example. Some things can't be virtualized because of hardware limitations (depends on specific PCI devices for example), and sometimes you have to be aware of certain lincensing bound to the hardware which ay require a new key from your vendor, but I'd say : go ahead and virtualize SQL server.

Do a VMware converter of the physical machine and test it for a week, you will always have the choice to go back.

0 Kudos