VMware Cloud Community
MikeBerube
Contributor
Contributor

Channel restart failed

Hello,

I just image copied a Windows 2008 R2 64bits terminal server to VM. After installing the VMTools and rebooting a few time I had some errors. The info I found pointed me to edit the files C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Tools\tools.conf to change vmusr.level to = error. The file did not exist so I created it as the description recommended. Issue was not resolved so I deleted the unity.dll file. That issue was resolved but now I’m getting the error bellow. This error appears every time a user logs onto the Terminal server with remote desktop.

Log Name:      Application

Source:        VMware Tools

Date:          2014-01-16 12:22:41

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: None

Level:         Warning

Keywords:      Classic

User:          LOCAL\user1

Computer:      tmserver

Description:

[ warning] [vmusr:vmusr] Channel restart failed [1]

I’m using ESXI 5.5. Any solutions for this? Cannot find anything conclusive.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeBerube
Contributor
Contributor

Nobody has ever seen this issue?

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Sounds similar to this one: VMware KB: Upgrading to VMware Tools 5.1 causes log spew with the message: Error in the RPC receive ...

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
MikeBerube
Contributor
Contributor

That link was initially the issue. I cannot install the patch since I am already at ESXI 5.5. So I went forward and Added this section to the tools.conf file:

[logging]
vmusr.level = error

This caused other errors so I deleted the tools.conf file and I deleted (rather renamed to _old) the unity.dll file resulting now with the [ warning] [vmusr:vmusr] Channel restart failed [1] error.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

The issue is resolved in ESXi 5.1 U2, so if the same issue exists in ESXi 5.5 then the resolution should come in the next update for 5.5.

Please open a support-issue with VMware to confirm.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
MikeBerube
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately I do not have access to support.

0 Kudos