VMware Cloud Community
sodasin
Contributor
Contributor

Changing vcenter host name 5.5

I recently upgraded my vsphere environment from 5.0 u2 to 5.5 u2.  After I finished with the 2 vcenter installations I realized I really need to change the host name of the machines.  However I'm reading this isn't a supported feature without uninstalling vcenter server along with SSO.  I have 2 vcenters in the environment running half of the load on each.  I also have dvs switches on certain hosts contained on one of my vcenter servers.  My question is, what's the best way to do this without losing configuration.  Should I uninstall the 2 features on one machine, rename it, reinstall then move everything over to that one and do the second one or is there an easier way to save my configuration settings? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bspagna89
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Have a look at these :

VMware KB: Exporting/importing/restoring Distributed Switch configs using vSphere Web client  

VMware KB: vCenter Server does not function properly after changing the host name, even after reinst...

Unfortunately, I haven't had to perform this but to offer some advice, I would export the DVS configuration. Your hosts retain a small amount of DVS config so that they can function without vCenter so I wouldn't be all that worried about interruption. Also, in the second KB article, you'll need to follow those directions and remove that certificate for the old name.

I hope this helps.

New blog - https://virtualizeme.org/
0 Kudos
sodasin
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah I was reading about that.  I forgot about being able to export dvs switching in 5.5.  I know that if the vcenter is offline you can access the dvs on the hosts you just can't make any changes to it. 

0 Kudos
bspagna89
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think the export is really your best bet for saving that config. I mean, I would also take some screenshots to be super safe but other than that, remember to remove that certificate and thew uninstall/re install should generate a new one for SSO.

New blog - https://virtualizeme.org/
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

> I recently upgraded my vsphere environment from 5.0 u2 to 5.5 u2.  After I finished with the 2 vcenter installations I realized I really need to change the host name of the machines.  However I'm reading this isn't a supported feature without uninstalling vcenter server along with SSO.

You might want to reinstall only soo, Not VC Please see below KB if it helps.

Please read this KB. VMware KB: Re-pointing and re-registering VMware vCenter Server 5.1 / 5.5 and components you might want to only reinstall your sso.

Thanks,

DJ

0 Kudos
RyanH1984
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've been through something similar at work recently. We needed to re-name the vCenter server and not lose any configuration, it kept the same IP and just needed a host rename in the AD domain. Is your vCenter database windows and hosted on a SQL database?

The dvswitch information is stored in the database so if it is separate to vCenter (as apposed to the appliance) then you can just remove all vCenter components from the server, rename and then re-install. You will keep all of your settings and hosts will continue to talk to it (assuming same IP address and correct changes in DNS). We kept everything the same on re-configuration (e.g- admin@vsphere.local password).

I would recommend backing up your database first and taking a snapshot of the vCenter before you perform any work. That way if anything goes wrong you should be able to easily roll back.

0 Kudos
sodasin
Contributor
Contributor

It's the built in integrated DB that came packaged with vcenter.  I think SQL express.

Yeah I understand about backups, I've been having problems backing up my vcenter with my current software though so I'm trying to figure out a way around that.  I think it utilizes one of the same ports for transfer as vcenter does.  Anyways, these are all great tips.  I'm not sure what's best for me but I'll read these KB articles.

0 Kudos