VMware Cloud Community
holstenralle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Changing blocksize? vSphere ESXi 4.1.0.

Hi everybody,

I wanted to create a third VM, but the harddisk of the existing machine was to large (266GB), because I had created a VMFS with blocksize of 1M 😞

I searched a lot of FAQ´s and manuals, but I couldn´t find an answer how to change the blocksize of the datastore to 2M.

I´m using vSphere ESXi 4.1.0.

Then I tried to export the VM´s to set up the VM Host new with another blocksize. But I´m not able to find a filebrowser in the vSphere-Client.

How do I export or backup a VM or a snapshot.

In the FAQ it is described " Open the filebrowser", but where it is hidden??

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards from hamburg, Ralf

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Right click on the datastore and select browse Smiley Happy.

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the only way to change the block size is the delete the datastore, format it and re-add it with another block size.

piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Right click on the datastore and select browse Smiley Happy.

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
holstenralle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much for the fast reply 🙂

But how can I backup the existing VM to restore it to the changed datastore.

Do I need a special tool?

0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Select the entire folder of the VM you want to keep and download it to your PC from the Datastore browser. You can also use vConverter but just downloading the folder and then uploading it after the change will do the trick.