VMware Cloud Community
caplann3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Changing UUIDs

Hi everyone,

Apologies if there's an existing post that covers this, I've had a quick look but couldn't find the sort of answer I was after. Also, this is my first post so please be kind Smiley Happy

We've just started monitoring our systems using Manage Engine and I'm getting screwed up results because of duplicate UUIDs from production systems that are replicated to our DR Cluster using Veeam. So in essence it's quite simple, all I need to do is change the UUID of all the replicas in our DR Cluster so that they differ from the original VMs and that should sort out the monitoring. However, presumably, because the UUID setting is set to keep, each time another replica is created it will copy the same UUID. So I'm assuming what I need to do is amend the UUID setting in the production VMs to change rather than keep.

Assuming my understanding above is correct and please correct me if not, my questions are...

1. What is the easiest and safest way to change the UUID of selected/all VMs without incurring any downtime, if possible?

2. Are there any repercussions to be aware of in having a different UUID from the original VM in a potential DR scenario?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Neil

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GaneshNetworks
Jump to solution

If you have them for "DR Purposes", then do not change their UUIDs. Try to exclude them in your monitoring tool. Anyhow monitoring replicas are not required.

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vervoortjurgen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

dont follow

you want to change the UUID from recovery site VM's?

why would you do that

veeam creates vm's with same mac and UUID so if you failover its the same machine

http://www.veeam.com/kb1669

kind regards Vervoort Jurgen VCP6-DCV, VCP-cloud http://www.vdssystems.be
0 Kudos
caplann3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply, sorry if I was vague.

I don't want to change the MAC of the VMs, just the UUID as this is the recommendation from support of our software monitoring company, Manage Engine.

Currently the monitoring is reporting inaccurate results as it obviously has the same UUID for the replicated VMs. They said we should have unique UUIDs for all VMs and pointed to this article: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1541.

I realise if we change the UUID of the replicated VMs for DR it's not technically an identical copy, however everything else will be the same. Would this have any real impact if it came to powering on these VMs?  I.e. is this just a bad idea? If you think it should work ok with a different UUID, what's the best way of going about changing them?

Thanks

Neil

0 Kudos
GaneshNetworks
Jump to solution

My understanding is, You replicated one VM and placed in a different place and going to use it for an another purpose (I mean, with different data and different app), not as a "replica" of the source one. If that is the case, the "copied" VM's UUID has to be changed.

While you powering ON the VM, it will ask you select any of the below 3 options. Select "I copied it" to change UUID and then it will registered in your monitoring tool without any issue.

• Cancel
  • I moved it
  • I copied it
~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
caplann3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response, however, I'm afraid that's not quite right.

I don't intend to power these VMs on. Fingers crossed, I never have to power these replicas up as they are for DR purposes!

It's purely down to the fact they are being picked up as the same VM by our monitoring software as they have the same UUID. So I'm looking to change their UUIDs.

Thanks

Neil

0 Kudos
GaneshNetworks
Jump to solution

If you have them for "DR Purposes", then do not change their UUIDs. Try to exclude them in your monitoring tool. Anyhow monitoring replicas are not required.

0 Kudos
caplann3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, I think that sounds sensible. I sent them a response asking for an alternate solution as I thought changing the UUIDs might be risky considering these VMs are for DR.

Cheers

Neil

0 Kudos