VMware Cloud Community
InflxxEC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Changing Max File/Block Size

When I formatted my storage I accepted the default maximium file size and block size. I wasn't aware this would limit the size of my datastores (i thought it was just the max size of a file). Is there anyway to change this on the fly or do i have to svmotion everything off and then delete and re-add the storage?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The LUN/Datastore would be limited to 2TB-512k in size (through ESX/ESXi 4.1 u1/VMFS 3.x). Depending on the block size you went with, VMDK files will be limited to a max size. Such as 256GB with a 1MB block size. If you need larger VMDK files, then you'll need to storage vMotion the VM's off of the LUN/Datastore, reformat/recreate the LUN/Datastore, then move them back onto it.

This is part of proper planning of how you set up the LUNs... If you need to have 500GB VMDK files, then don't use the 1MB block size. By the same token, don't use 8MB block size if you're going to have <256GB VMDK files.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The LUN/Datastore would be limited to 2TB-512k in size (through ESX/ESXi 4.1 u1/VMFS 3.x). Depending on the block size you went with, VMDK files will be limited to a max size. Such as 256GB with a 1MB block size. If you need larger VMDK files, then you'll need to storage vMotion the VM's off of the LUN/Datastore, reformat/recreate the LUN/Datastore, then move them back onto it.

This is part of proper planning of how you set up the LUNs... If you need to have 500GB VMDK files, then don't use the 1MB block size. By the same token, don't use 8MB block size if you're going to have <256GB VMDK files.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

...do i have to svmotion everything off and then delete and re-add the storage

Yes, as stated, this is really your only opiton.  With that said, it may just be worth formatting with an 8MB block size.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

To change block size of VMFS you need reformat volume.

Check Too Block Size and Limitations of VMFS

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos