VMware Cloud Community
Sofix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Changed block tracking - multiple ctk.vmdk files on VM with full backup job - questions

Hello

About week ago i found that one of my VM is full of ctk.vmd files. I know what are those files for (changed block tracking), but i dont understand why backup exec 2010 is creating them only on one virtual machine. I got about 10 vm backing up in backupexec, all of them are full backup ( not incremental nor differental ), configured the same and only one is getting those files. Last time it was about 10 per each of 3 vmdk :(. I cloned machine to get rid of it but it took a lot of time, and today after first backup of this cloned vm i got new one. So my questione is :

- If im not using incremental/differential backup do i really need them ?

- is it 100 % save to remove them form datastore manually ?

- what may be the reason that only one vm has this files whille all other are configured the same, also on Linux OS ?

- How to prevent from getting more of them as they really mess my datastore Smiley Sad  ?

Im using vSphere ESX 4.1 and backup exec 2010 R2.

Wojtek

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I can't tell you why you see multiple CBT file for a single .vmdk (or are you talking about snapshot files? what are the ctk file names?). Maybe BE still locks these files while it tries to delete an existing snapshot!? Anyway, CBT is not activated by default, but either activated manually or by the backup application. I don't know BE, so you may want to check yourself whether it has an option somewhere to enable CBT for VMs.

Deleting these files shouldn't have any impact on a full backup.

André

0 Kudos
Sofix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for answer André, your right there are also a lot of snapshot which i can't delete, i made clone  so all files disappear but im still very curious about other option to consolidate them from command line. I will contact backup exec about that issue and make another thread here about option for consolidation snapshot. ( i tried making new one and then deleting, vim-cmd vmvsc/snapshot remove etc. but nothing works).

Anyway in my case manualy deleting ctk.vmdk files didn't interupt virtual machine

Wojtek

0 Kudos
NavalgundRaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Sofix, Answer is: While consolidation .ctk file are those file which take them to their parent  disk, in  this case those are not required until you get rid of them you cannot power On or if vm is already on you cannot consolidate them, So make on folder eg # mk dir cktfolder and move all .ctk files to ctkfolder and then try consolidate it will consolidate. Note: Please mark it as useful or correct if you find some help from these lines. Regards Basavaraj.R Navalgund

Note: If you found this correct or answer useful please consider the use of the Correct buttons to award points. Regards Basavaraj.R Navalgund
0 Kudos
NavalgundRaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Sofix,

Hope I understood  your issue correctly and why we have to manually get rid of .ctk files, s they have to go away once  vm consolidates,

if there are thousands of machine  if snaps shots of these creating these file why should we manually deleted them.?

it is not the solution for the issue is. it is not may *** Vmware issue at all, ( they can only tell you that you can shutdown the machine to consolidate it)

Go to your Backup server ex..veeam vm.

Go to edit setting you can see the VM disks,which are not consolidating are still hanging there. Just release /release them.

then you can able to consolidate it the Vmsnap shots. The you will be able to successfully consolidate it.

Note: No need of restart or shutting down the VM.( Why we have to shutdown our production server every time backup Vm takes the backup and leave the .ctk files )

If you found this correct or  answer useful please consider the use of the Correct buttons to award points.

let me know how you resolved this issue.

Or write to me on banavalg@yahoo.com

Thanks

Basavaraj.R Navalgund

Note: If you found this correct or answer useful please consider the use of the Correct buttons to award points. Regards Basavaraj.R Navalgund
0 Kudos