VMware Cloud Community
fborges555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Change root password

Hi gurus

I would like to unify all esxi root password on our cluster,  once the password has been change on the ESXI host will the host be disconnect from the Vsphere-vcenter? and I will have to re-connect the host?

is there any command I can follow to change password from the SSH or is it better to change it from the esxi console?

Thanks a bunch

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

After changing the root password, the host will not immediately disconnect from the vCenter server. However, if the host gets disconnected from the VC in future for some reason, it will not connect back to VC automatically unless you give the new password.  I would suggest not  to get into that situation in future unexpectedly , since the hosts are in cluster,  try to evacuate VMs using vmotion and change password, reconnect the host with new password . do this for all the hosts, you may avoid issues in future.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
larstr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can change the password through ssh with the command passwd.

This can safely be done and will not affect the host connection to vcenter.

Lars

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

After changing the root password, the host will not immediately disconnect from the vCenter server. However, if the host gets disconnected from the VC in future for some reason, it will not connect back to VC automatically unless you give the new password.  I would suggest not  to get into that situation in future unexpectedly , since the hosts are in cluster,  try to evacuate VMs using vmotion and change password, reconnect the host with new password . do this for all the hosts, you may avoid issues in future.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
fborges555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

L.

Thanks a bunch, can I do this change while the host is in Maintenance mode? does it matter?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The host does care if it is in maintenance mode or not when changing the password.

Lars

0 Kudos
fborges555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

does or does not care?

thanks

0 Kudos
rpilot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

fborges555, does not

0 Kudos
Dikra90
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hello Larstr,

I guess it's old topic but yes i confirm ,i changed the Password on vsan Cluster and it didn't disconnact the hosts.

Thanks for your info it hels me a lot:)

0 Kudos