VMware Cloud Community
fajarpri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Change of Management Network IP

Hi all,

ESXi 5.1.0

I put VM Network and Management Network into the same Standard Switch.

Now, I want to change the IP of the Management Network.

Will it disrupt VM Network?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dhanarajramesh
Jump to solution

i have tested in my environment and  It would not distrub any vm's network . the host will be disconnected and you have to re-join back it .

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you provide more detail about how the vSwitch is currently configured, as well as how your upstream physical switch config? How many NICs, trunking info, etc....

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
fajarpri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's really a very basic setting:

- ESXi standard installation, standard vswitch. Both VM Network and Management Network on this one vswitch.

- One NIC is in use and connected. The other NIC are disconnected unused.

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh
Jump to solution

i have tested in my environment and  It would not distrub any vm's network . the host will be disconnected and you have to re-join back it .

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes,you will lose connection to vcenter. you can  remove the host from vCenter and change IP, and readd it back

0 Kudos
EMILY32
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Is your switch l3 manageable if so crate one VLAN .

Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.
0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

@Emily32 That has nothing to do with it.

To be short, a VMkernel port and a VM port group are 2 completely different things, the only thing they have in common is a vSwitch with adapters. Only if you start changes stuff on the vSwitch level (remove a pNIC for example) this might impact your VM port group. Changing the IP address of a VMkernel interface cannot disturb VM networking itself.

You might even create a new VMkernel port with the other IP address, remove the host from vCenter (if vCenter is available) and readd it using the new IP address. Then remove the old VMkernel port.

fajarpri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the complete explanation. Much appreciated.

I'm sorry I cannot give any more points.

0 Kudos