VMware Cloud Community
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Change default options of a NEW VM in ESXI 5.1

Hello,

i am looking for a solution to change the "default" options of a new VM created in ESXI 5.1

I want to have settings like "cpu/Memory HOT-add" default on Enabled instead of Disabled.

Maybe there are more options to change for a new vm.

Anybody who have an option to change the "default" options for new vms?

Thx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You can edit the vSphere host file /etc/vmware/config and add the lines mem.hotadd = "TRUE" and vcpu.hotadd = "TRUE".
The settings will then be applied to any VM on that host when VMs are powered on....

I've just tried this on an ESXi 5.1 host and it seems to work just fine....

/Rubeck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not aware of an option to change the defaults. What you could do is to create templates with the modified settings and use them for new VMs.

André

0 Kudos
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Andre,

in templates are settings applied like OS etc.

I want change the settings that are not OS-specific but are global for ALL new vms.

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You can edit the vSphere host file /etc/vmware/config and add the lines mem.hotadd = "TRUE" and vcpu.hotadd = "TRUE".
The settings will then be applied to any VM on that host when VMs are powered on....

I've just tried this on an ESXi 5.1 host and it seems to work just fine....

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Rubeck,

thx for the answer.

This host-file is the ESXI-hostfile and not a file at Vcenter?

So this need the be done on every host, or can this als be done on vcenter, so this will be applied to every host connected to the specified vcenter?

Thx

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Ohh... Sorry. Yes, this file resides locally on each ESXi host, and you then have to edit all hosts..  (not aware of any way to apply it to all hosts through vCenter)

Be aware that the setting will be applied to all VMs on that host (if the selected guest OS supports it)... Also take a note of doing this (if doing it) as this setting might be overwritten when you apply patches etc.

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thx for the anwer!

My config file is now:

libdir = "/usr/lib/vmware"

authd.proxy.vim = "vmware-hostd:hostd-vmdb"

authd.proxy.nfc = "vmware-hostd:ha-nfc"

authd.proxy.nfcssl = "vmware-hostd:ha-nfcssl"

authd.proxy.vpxa-nfcssl = "vmware-vpxa:vpxa-nfcssl"

authd.proxy.vpxa-nfc = "vmware-vpxa:vpxa-nfc"

authd.fullpath = "/sbin/authd"

authd.soapServer = "TRUE"

vmauthd.server.alwaysProxy = "TRUE"

mem.hotadd = "TRUE"

vcpu.hotadd = "TRUE"

When i create a new VM on this HOST and check the settings of Memory/CPU (see attachment).

Do i need to restart some services ?

edit: I had to put the VM on!

After this it`s working!

Thx!

Is there a list available with other preconfigure settings?

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The setting will be applied when the VM is powered on....  Power it on and check the settings again..  

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

in templates are settings applied like OS etc.

I want change the settings that are not OS-specific but are global for ALL new vms.

Yes, I understand this. What I suggest is to create a new VM (without installing the OS), edit the VM's settings, then convert this VM to a template and use this template to create/provision new VMs.

André.

0 Kudos
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Rubeck,

Is there a list available with other preconfigure settings?

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Not that I'm aware of at the moment.... But start out with applying your settings to a VM using the vSphere client (again power it on afterwards), and see what's added/removed/changed within the .vmx file of this VMs and add this to the /etc/vmware/config file... but you might be going down an unsupported route doing this..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thx!

0 Kudos