VMware Cloud Community
Ma5ek
Contributor
Contributor

Change datastore - insufficient disk space on datastore

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with changing store for my VM. My configuration is :

- two dell servers ( ESX1 and ESX2) with ESXi 4.1 HA ( cluster )

- dell MD3200i ( ISCSI ) storage with 17,6 Tb of space

- 17,6 Tb is divided 8 x 2 Tb + 1,6 Tb virtual disks via ISCSI

On 1,6 Tb virtual disk is created store for my VM-s . All VM-s are about 600 Gb. I have created another store to move VM physical to that store with migrate option. I can migrate all machines except the ones with this disk configuration :

I have three VM with 4 x 2 Tb disk inserted. Inside the VM I converted disk to dynamic disk and create stripe. So I have 8 Tb of disk space inside the virtual machine. VMDK file of VM is about 130 Gb. When I try to move to other datastore next button is greyed out with the message : insufficient disk space on datastore "xxxxx"

How can I change the datastore and what is the pocedure ?

P.S.

I have enought space on new datastore.

Thanks for your help,

Alan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure whether I understood the issue correctly. However, what I could think of is that the target datastore may not have been created with the required block size (8MB for virtual disks of up to ~2TB).

André

0 Kudos
Ma5ek
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have created new datastore with required block size ( 2048Mb, 8Mb ).

On ESXi i have 8 stores conected via ISCSI ( 8 difrent LUNs). One store is for virtual machines, other stores are for virtual disks ( 2 tb on each store ) and they are imported in virtual machine ( four virtual disks ( each is 2Tb ). Inside the virtual machine I have Server 2008 R2 64 Bit, disk is converted to dynamic and all disk are striped - total 8 Tb of disk space.

Do I have to remove virtual disk from VM settings, migrate to new datastore and then add virtual disks back ? If yes, can I loose data ?

Regards, Alan

0 Kudos
krishna_v78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

While sVmotion choose Advance option and try to migrate individual VMDK files to new Datastore. But, don't remove vDisks from VM settings.

0 Kudos
Ma5ek
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have resolve the problem. I removed VM from inventory, copy all files from one datastore to other datastore, add VM back to inventory in turn the VM on.

Thanks for help.

Regards, Alan

0 Kudos