ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Change ESXi vSphere host and vCenter IP address

Posted Aug 27, 2009 12:44 PM

I have the change the IP subnet of company network this weekend including the two ESXi 4 host and vCenter. Is there any process for doing this.

From my understanding changing vCenter IP requires changing /etc/vmware/vpxa.conf on all the host but to change the host IP it is best to disconnect and then reconnect it (I assume I lose performance statistics) since I connected by IP not hostname. Since I have to disconnect and reconnect anyways I can skip editing /etc/vmware/vpxa.conf .

So:

1. Disconnect ESXi hosts from vCenter

2. Change vCenter & Host IP

3. Reconnect hosts with vCenter.

Is this process correct or is there a better method, thanks.

• 2.  RE: Change ESXi vSphere host and vCenter IP address

Posted Aug 28, 2009 03:23 PM

Anyone have experience with this?

Also I just remembered we use a datastore connecting to a NAS with NFS with IP address that will change. Is there anyway to modify the IP address the datastore use or do we have to mount as a new datastore and somehow get our VM to switch to new datastore?

Thanks.

• 3.  RE: Change ESXi vSphere host and vCenter IP address

Posted Aug 29, 2009 03:42 AM

There are some aspect to consider...

For vCenter Server

If you use plugin you must use hostname/DNS name, or you have to manually change some xml files (under each plugin folder)

Disconnect the ESX, change ESX configuration and reconnect them.

Also verifying the VirtualCenter Managed IP Address: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1008030

For ESX Server:

Power off the VM, create a new Management Interface with new IP, and create the new vmkernel interface for NAS.

Change NFS configuration (reboot them if required) and connect to the new IP.

Then remove old IP, fix DNS name (and /etc/hosts if you use it) and reboot to be sure of right parameters.

Andre