VMware Cloud Community
AntonioProietti
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Change 5.0 cluster licensing from Essential to Enterprise Plus

Good morning guys,

I need some help about changing licensing for a small business customer.

Actually we have a cluster with only 3 Esxi 5.0 hosts and a vcenter licensed with the Essential Pack.

We need to add some other hosts and the customer has already purchased the Enterprise Plus licenses for all (old and new) hosts.

What is the best way to change the licensing without creating problems to the production environment?

Do I have to disconnect the hosts from vcenter, change the vcenter licenses and then reconnect the various hosts to vcenter again assigning them a new license? We would like to avoid creating a completely new cluster to which to add the old ESXi nodes to maintain some configurations (such as fencing for a CentOS cluster). Thanks for any suggestions, regards
Antonio

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Antonio,

There is no impact in changing the license at all. You simply replace the existing license with the new ones. No need to disconnect host or anything else.

Here is the KB.

Thanks,

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Antonio,

There is no impact in changing the license at all. You simply replace the existing license with the new ones. No need to disconnect host or anything else.

Here is the KB.

Thanks,

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
0 Kudos
SatyS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As V said,it wont affect your performance or it wont create any probs.

Just change the license and apply new one.

For that log in to VI client.

Home->Administration ->Licensing

Right-click on the product and Change License Key.

-SatyS

If you find this useful,please mark the answer as correct/helpful

Regards,
SatyS
http://myvirtuallearning.wordpress.com/

AntonioProietti
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much.

I have changed several times licenses in the past, but I had never done from Essential to Enterprise Plus; given the limitations of the first one I thought there could be problems.
Just as well, thank you very much for your reply.

0 Kudos