VMware Cloud Community
Konapie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CentOS 5.5 machine won't boot up on ESXi 4.0

Hello everyone,

I made a new virtual machine on our ESXi 4.0 host and I installed CentOS 5.5 32bit, but it won't boot up.

The OS installaiton seemed to go just fine... I picked out all the packages I wanted to install and then the actual installation began. At that point I let it go and wasn't watching. When I came back it said that the installation was complete and the next step would be to reboot the machine. So I clicked the button to reboot... the problem is that the machine won't boot up at all! All I get is a blank black screen with a cursor sitting in the upper left corner. It won't respond at all. In the vSphere client, I select the "Performance" tab and can see that the CPU usage is sitting steady at around 100%. It's not using much of the host memory, however.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Here is some information about the virtual machine:

4GB memory

CD/DVD drive is set to "Host Device" but it isn't connected at power on

10GB HDD

1 CPU

For "Guest Operating System" I chose "RHEL 5 (32-bit)" and I also tried "Other Linux" with no luck

One thing I just thought of - when installing CentOS, one of the first things it asked me was if I wanted to verify the CD media. I didn't do this. Do you think there is a good chance that the media is bad?

Thanks in advance for any opinions and help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In the vSphere client, you can select your host and see the version information listed just above the tabs on the right side.  From there, you can use the VMware Download Patches site to find out what patches are available or what release you are using.  Are you using vCenter or do you have Update Manager?  If not, you can check out "Single use vihostupdate How To for ESXi 4.x" for how to update.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

CentOS 5.5 is supported on ESX(i) 4.0 U2 and U3 only - are you on one of those versions?  It probably should have installed either way, but using a supported setup is always a good thing.

One thing I just thought of - when installing CentOS, one of the first things it asked me was if I wanted to verify the CD media. I didn't do this. Do you think there is a good chance that the media is bad?

I personally always verify the hashes after the download and then let the installer also run the verify the first time I use it.  It is definitely worth double-checking to make sure that the media is good.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
Konapie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.

Today I had the installer verify the media and it checked out OK.

I am not sure what the problem was, but I'm going to try installing the OS again.

In the vSphere client, when I go to "Help" --> "About VMware VSphere," it says my version of ESXi is 4.0.0 - there is nothing about U2 or U3.

Forgive me, but I'm not familiar with "U2" and "U3". I've been poking around the VMware pages and the web, but I haven't yet found any definitive information regarding what these versions are or how to upgrade.

If you know of a good web page that I should check out for more information, could you please give me the URL?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In the vSphere client, you can select your host and see the version information listed just above the tabs on the right side.  From there, you can use the VMware Download Patches site to find out what patches are available or what release you are using.  Are you using vCenter or do you have Update Manager?  If not, you can check out "Single use vihostupdate How To for ESXi 4.x" for how to update.

0 Kudos
Konapie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again for your reply.

I went to the Download Patches site and searched for my version and build of ESXi, but nothing came up.

We are not using vCenter nor do we have the Update Manager.

After more poking around, I found the download page for ESXi 4 Update 3 here:

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/esxi40u3/ZHcqYnR3dGViZGgqag==#version_history

I'm downloading the "installable" CD ISO... I may try that next.

In the meantime, I tried to reinstall CentOS again on the same virtual machine, and got the same results.

That is, once again, after the OS installation finishes, the machine then goes to reboot but it won't boot up at all.

I don't know what else to try, other than upgrading to U3 and trying again.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Konapie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

So, a cowoker tried to install CentOS on the virtual machine again, but this time instead of choosing the particular packages we need and unselecting those we don't need, he just went with the default installation. And this time the machine boots up! So it looks like the machine not booting up had something to do with the packages we chose or didn't chose. I guess that this is not an issue related to ESXi.

In any case, we are going to go ahead and upgrade to Update 3.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos