VMware Cloud Community
lamont77
Contributor
Contributor

Cant tell if "Local Dell Disk" is being used by ESXi or is free to use.

Hi. Im working through the pre reqs for a 6.7u3 to 7.0u3 upgrade and have discovered that the current ESXi hosts are using dual SD cards to boot from. Now I'm trying to figure out my best way forward. 

There are 2 x 446GB disks on these servers presenting as a virtual disk in a RAID 1 configuration and the host is seeing this as a "Local Dell Disk". It isn't formatted with VMFS.

How can I tell if this is being used in any way by the underlying host or cluster? I'm basically just trying to understand if this is free to use as an ESX-OSData Partition, or if I need to rethink.

Im not sure how to tell for sure if the disk is surplus to requirements or being used in some way by the hypervisor. 

Any advice or insight here would be great, thanks. 

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
lamont77
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. Anyone have any insight here? It would be very much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Great question. Log in to the ESXi Web GUI, and go to Storage -> Devices. From there select the Local Dell Disk to its partitions.

If the RAID1 volume does not contain any partitions (other than some Dell OEM partitions), you may consider to clear the partition table on it, and install ESXi on them (and remove the SD cards).

André

0 Kudos