VMware Cloud Community
Andrics
Contributor
Contributor

Cant add template to inventory without VCC?

Hi all,

I have an esx 4.1 build (standalone) When I browse the datastore and try to add my  vmtx file to the inventory it complains that this is not supported

by the vsphere client and should be carried out via the VCC. I dont have one! options?

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As far as I am aware, in order to use virtual machine templates you must be connected to a vCenter Server. You cannot use templates when connected directly to the ESXi server.

Check out page 38 of the vSphere 4.1 Virtual Machine Admin Guide at https://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_vm_admin_guide.pdf where it states:

"You must be connected to vCenter Server to deploy a virtual machine from a template. You cannot deploy from a template if you connect the vSphere Client directly to an ESX/ESXi host".

Hope that helps!

Andrics
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Graham ,

very helpfull that you have done the leg work and found the statement but unfortunately not a helpfull scenario for my setup at the mo. I hoped that I could get around this via the command line somehow. thanks again.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As templates can only be created using vCenter Server anyway, where did you get this template from?

If you had access to that vCenter Server instance, you could always use that vCenter Server to convert the template in question back to a regular virtual machine and then you would be ok to use it with the standalone ESXi host?

Andrics
Contributor
Contributor

Going to rebuild and plug into out 4.0 vcc thanks

0 Kudos