VMware Cloud Community
nedergah
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot use any of my workstation VM's on my new ESXi 5.0

I must be doing something wrong - It cannot be right that I cannot run my workstation 7 & 8 VM on my ESXi 5.0? Smiley Sad

I get this error for my VM's with SCSI disk, I get an almost identical error for those with IDE disk

Module DevicePowerOn power on failed.
Unable to create virtual SCSI device for scsi0:0, '/vmfs/volumes/6502f113-3d00e38f/Windows Server 2008 x64/Windows Server 2008 x64-000002.vmdk'
Failed to open disk scsi0:0: Unsupported or invalid disk type 2.  Ensure that the disk has been imported.

I don't see anywhere how to import the disk.

I have one VM running, which was create in the ESXi.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi doesn't support  virtual disks that are split into multiple files which may be the case here.  Did you just copy the file from your PC to the ESXi datastore?  You'll want to use a tool like VMware Converter (it's a free download) as it'll take copy of  importing the VM correctly to ESXi.  Or if you're using Workstation 8 you can drag and drop the VM to the ESXi host using the Workstation GUI.

nedergah
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I tried to just the VM's and the open them, the I googled the error and found different groups where they have had the same problem but I have found no solusions that solves the problem.

I have tried the convert tool, with no luck.

The disk files are not split. 

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert

Just copying them over is a bad idea,. Install VMware converter (or is it "VCenter Converter") then do a V2V. This process will automatically "reconfigure" the VM to the correct version of your EXS host.

There's another way but it takes a little longer. The above is KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). I like KISS. :smileysilly:

nedergah
Contributor
Contributor

Weel it seems your are both rigth here

I had my HDisk with the workstation VMs connected to a NAS via USB and tried to convert from the USB connected disk, that was not a good idea.

I connected the disk directly to my Win7 via esata and then did a succesful conversion of them. Well, one of them is still a problem but for the rest they are now up and running.

It takes some time though :smileysilly:

thanks

0 Kudos