VMware Cloud Community
sbscp
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot use VSphere Client to edit settings

Hi,

I need and urgent solution to to this. I need to edit settings on one of my vm so I can increase the space in it as it is on the red tag meaning it is almost full.

However, when trying to edit i was flagged with this massage:

"You cannot use the vSphere Client to edit settings of your virtual machines of version 10 or higher"

"use the vSphere Web Client to edit the settings of this virtual machine"

I'm new to this error so please your urgent support will be higly appreciated.

Looking foward to your kind and urgent response.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @sbscp ,

Please provide the product version whenever raising such concerns. It would be helpful.

To increase VMs disk capacity, please connect to web interface. If the VM is running on a standalone ESXi host, enter the IP address in web browser to connect to host client and then increase the disk capacity of the VM.

If the VM is on a host that is connected to vCenter, enter vCenter IP address in web browser to connect and launch web client to increase the disk capacity of the VM.

Hope that helps.

depping
Leadership
Leadership

Moderator note: There's absolutely no need for using "all caps" for a post like this. Also, if things are extremely urgent, it is always an option to call VMware Support. If you are in need of a quick answer, providing all the needed details would also be helpful: version of vCenter, version of ESXi, VM Compat version of the VM you are editing, screenshot of the message etc.

When I google your message, the first hit is:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2061336

You are speaking about the vSphere Client as well, try to upgrade the hardware of the VM if you are running vSphere 6.5 or higher, as HW v10 is ancient at this time.

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@sbscp 

Moderator: Edited post to remove ALL CAPS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
sbscp
Contributor
Contributor

The product version is 5.5

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
sbscp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Putting "all caps" is not the intention to cause any alarm in this instance and it wasn't my intention to do so, please don't take it the wrong way as I'm new to this. Next time I'll make sure that they are done right.

Please give any number to tech support where I can call them direct as I don't have their contacts. Preferably Australian number.

Cheers,

JD

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@sbscp 

vSphere 5.5 is no longer supported or updated - you would need to be on at least 6.5, or just follow some of the help offered above.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos