VMware Cloud Community
Famin3
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot upgrade ESXi 4 to ESXi 4.1

Hey guys, upon trying to upgrade to ESXi 4.1 using the esxupdate command, I get the following error after about 30 seconds:

Message - Bootbank preparation failed: /sbin/bootbankstage-install.sh -v

prep returned (1)

Errno - 17

Description - There was an error setting up ESXi installation destination

It appears that the disk doesnt have enough space on the root partition (only 32mb free) but my problem is working out how to increase it without losing information.

We have 2 ESX machines, the first one upgraded without any problems at all, the second identical machine however failed, I'm guessing they were just partitioned differently... but how do I fix it?

Thanks for any information.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Where are you storing the patch file? If you move it to a datastore you might free up some room in /. Also have you configured a scratch partition? Look at Configuration > Software > Advanced for that setting.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
Famin3
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am installing from a datastore with a great deal of free space, the files are not sitting on the root drive. I have already configured the scratch drive, which is also pointed to a folder on the same datastore (I had to do this for the first ESX server to successfully update to 4.1). Good thoughts, but any more ideas? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you can ssh to the host, please provide the output of vdf -h. it will give us an idea on the disk partition nd utilization.

0 Kudos
Famin3
Contributor
Contributor

I assume you mean df -h, vdf -h doesnt work.

~ # df -h

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

visorfs 273.1M 243.5M 29.6M 89% /

vmfs3 557.5G 624.0M 556.9G 0% /vmfs/volumes/4aa0ea44-67fa9b24-7754-0024e83ce9da

vfat 249.7M 77.5M 172.2M 31% /vmfs/volumes/53cc92eb-5326110e-6194-a0c34fc4fe34

vfat 249.7M 75.1M 174.7M 30% /vmfs/volumes/7cfc25ed-9e7abe3b-92b0-4b92d4cdeb1e

vfat 285.9M 258.6M 27.3M 90% /vmfs/volumes/efd8efe3-03bc1cbf-15e0-080efd9e7379

vmfs3 1.8T 724.4G 1.0T 40% /vmfs/volumes/4c8d6985-63496f14-56e7-0026b973d4e8

vmfs3 1.9T 20.6G 1.8T 1% /vmfs/volumes/4c8077f0-1bea040e-2b2a-0026b973d4e8

Thanks for any ideas.

0 Kudos
sanderdaems1987
Contributor
Contributor

Try to cleanup your old ESXi 3.* installation:

command “cleanup-esx3”

http://blog.vmpros.nl/2009/11/05/vmware-cleanup-bootloader-after-upgrading-from-esx-3-x-to-vsphere-4...

| VCP/VSP/VTSP/VSA/vExpert 2010 |

| VCP/VSP/VTSP/vExpert 2010/2011 |
0 Kudos
Famin3
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting the following after running that command:

~ # cleanup-esx3

-ash: cleanup-esx3: not found

0 Kudos
Famin3
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone?

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you clarify what you're running?

Your title says "ESXi" but several of the commands discussed in this thread are only relevant to ESX.

0 Kudos
Famin3
Contributor
Contributor

Running ESXi 4.0 on this server, its working fine, it just gets the error when trying to upgrade to ESXi 4.1

Our other server upgraded from esxi 4.0 to 4.1 without any hassles at all, the only thing I had to do was change the scratch location.

0 Kudos
Famin3
Contributor
Contributor

Still no one? I really dont want to install 4.1 from scratch, I have too much configuration that I would have to re-create.

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you tried using the Host Update Utility or vihostupdate.pl from the vCLI?

These are the recommended processes for ESXi. The commands above all seem to refer to ESX.

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert

just backup the config.

reinstall it to your current version.

reload the config, and upgrade.

The config backup grabs all the configuration to a single tar-ball.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1595671#1595671

0 Kudos
Famin3
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies, vihostupdate.pl also fails with the same error:

There was an error setting up ESXi installation destinationBootbank preparation

failed: returned (1)

Looks like I may have to try what LucasAlbers mentioned.

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert

if upgrading to 4.0 you can use the "vSphere Host Update Utility"

When install the vsphere 4.0 client it asks if you want to install this utility.

You can also just use update manager, the upgrade guide covers the steps to upgrade.

You should certainly read this to cover all the areas: esxi, vcenter, hardware version, vmware tools.

0 Kudos
LeftHandVSA
Contributor
Contributor

I keep seeing posts like this. I must be missing the point. Why would anyone want to upgrade a host from one version to another. Little patches I get. Update Manager does a fairly decent job. But going from 3.5 to 4 or 4 to 4.1 are major updates; why not wipe the host out and do a fresh installation? A fresh install ensures that nothing is left behind including the file structure which has changed in recent versions. Even under the worst circumstances of using a CD to install ESX, it cant possibly take more than 20 minutes.

0 Kudos
Famin3
Contributor
Contributor

LeftHandVSA, to be honest I agree. However its more the fact that settings will be lost. We have a great deal of configuration that would be lost. I assume that you cant backup the config for 4.0 and restore it to 4.1...?

0 Kudos
LeftHandVSA
Contributor
Contributor

What kind of configuration is on the host? Do you mean virtual switch settings? iSCSI settings? There are several ways to extract those configurations and easily apply them to a new host. I have hosts that boot from an appliance over the network (no installation on local or SAN drives). Every time a host is rebooted, it is a brand-new host. I have a powershell scripts that bring the new host into VC and configure vswitches and storage. Then I use host profiles to fill in the rest of te information I dont do with powershell. My point is that the host should be disposable. If you lose a host to some failure, you should be able to build a new host and have it properly configured in the shortest time possible.

0 Kudos
mediawide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi,

i agree with LeftHandVSA his righ. it's possible to take backup what u did earlier, take a backup of 4.0 and do a free installation it's not a but 30 minit job to got free installation.

Thanks

Durgesh

0 Kudos