jordendrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot turn on VM after upgrading hard drives

Jump to solution

I shut down my VM to install two new hard drives to the RAID. After I added them and expanded the storage in VMware, I could not turn the VM on as it gave me the following error:

Failed to start the virtual machine.

Failed to power on VM.

Could not power on VM : msg.vmk.status.VMK_NO_SPACE.

Current swap file size is 0 KB.

Failed to extend swap file from 0 KB to 16777216 KB.

Current swap file size is 0 KB.

Failed to extend swap file from 0 KB to 16777216 KB.

I tried changing the location of the swap file, but it did not work. I could really use some help with this. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

According to the screen shot there's only a few hundred MB free disk space on the datastore, i.e. you expanded the VM's virtual disk to almost the maximum available size!?

Once a VM is powered on some additional files are created which consume some disk space. The largest one is the swap file which - by default - has the size of the provisioned memory. However, if you don't want/need this swap file you can set a memory reservation for the VM, which will reduce the swap file size (swap file size = provisioned memory minus reservation).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jordendrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was able to turn it on by lowering the RAM usage below the free space available but now I cannot expand the partition.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What exactly did you do so far?

What basically needs to be done is adding the new HDDs to the RAID set, and either expand the logical volume, or create a new one (depends on your needs and the current partition layout on the ESXi host). Once these steps are done on the RAID controller, you should be able to see the free space, and expand the VMFS datstore in the "Add Storage" wizard on the ESXi host.

André

0 Kudos
jordendrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What I did so far was installed 2 new 4 TB hard drives, created a new mirrored RAID with them so now i have two 4 TB RAID's. went into VMWare and added the new volume to the datastore and then increased the hard drive capacity for the VM itself. I also have to have my RAM at 128 MB to even start it.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just to make sure I understood this correctly. You added the new 4TB logical volume as an extent to the already existing 4TB datastore, making it an 8TB datastore.

Does the host show the expected datatore size, and the free disk space on it? What's the free disk space after you expanded the VM's virtual disk?

André

0 Kudos
jordendrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the data store seems to show the right amount.datastore.jpgdisk.JPG

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

According to the screen shot there's only a few hundred MB free disk space on the datastore, i.e. you expanded the VM's virtual disk to almost the maximum available size!?

Once a VM is powered on some additional files are created which consume some disk space. The largest one is the swap file which - by default - has the size of the provisioned memory. However, if you don't want/need this swap file you can set a memory reservation for the VM, which will reduce the swap file size (swap file size = provisioned memory minus reservation).

André

0 Kudos
jordendrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I realize now that was a mistake. I freed some space to allow more memory. I'm pretty new to this whole virtualization thing. I managed to get everything working now. Thanks for your input. It's helped.

0 Kudos